You can type here any text you want

Lean stall in gear. How to adjust FAST?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kidrick

Did a search and got some info, just need to know what table to adjust to richen up the fuel.

Car idles fine. When put into "R" or "D" car will stall. Car stalls only after sitting. Can keep car from stalling with a little throttle. Did a record and noticed the A/F leaning out to 15.00 before it dies. VE target is 38 and A/F target is 13.3 at idle. Should I adjust the VE table or is there another table I should be looking at?

Thanks

The VE cell that the mapping goes into when putting in gear sounds lean. Look at your VE table when shifting into gear and see where it goes and raise up a few numbers.

First thing I would check is that when the car is in gear, the actual A/C matches the target A/C. If not, then like Rick said you should adjust the VE table in that cell.

-Bob Cunningham

:) Thanks for the replies. When idling my target A/F is 13.3 but I am getting readings of 12.5s. When cruising the target at 1900rpm is still 13.3 and the correction is right on 13.3, so that is perfect. So does the idle fuel need to be richened up?:confused:

Sorry, but another question. How many digits do you know to adjust the VE table depending on the A/F number you see. So like I said, my target A/F at idle is 13.3 but I am getting readings of 12.5. My VE cell is 38 at idle. How much should I move up the VE of 38 to get the A/F closer to the target?:confused:

If your A/F target is 13.3 and your actual is 12.5 you would need to lower the VE number. As far as your stalling...

What idle speed are you running?
Is your IAC coming in when you put it in gear? Or is it wide open at idle out of gear?

I would think the VE table would have to real bad off for it to lean out and die if you have tuned the car at all going from 13.3 A/F ratio at idle unless your are not using 02 correction at idle.

Correction would be as follows

For Example,
If actual A/F is 12 & desired A/F is 13, it is too rich

12/13= 92% of VE value

Your case of 12.5/13.3 =94%
If VE was 38 then 38x94% = new value of 36 for the VE

If you are way off on the numbers (10% or more) split the difference to be safe on the tune. Overshooting the numbers (easpecially while leaning the motor) can cause engine damage if you miscalculate so better to do it twice than break it.

Watch your battery voltage (add this to your datalog) when you put it in gear. Battery voltage affects the injector opening time & will cause idle problems if it drops significantly.

Back