Leaning Out? Powerlogger files attached...

Quick search of the alky section on volt boosters are they don't mix that well. Most people are not impressed with them either. I'ld drop that out of the mix.

I've been back and forth on this...Had it out, back in, etc. I've discussed it with Richard Clark whose opinion I greatly respect, and he's of the opinion keep it in. In fact, it was discussed in this thread: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/300030-installed-voltage-booster-slower-car.html

Interesting why it would make a difference when running ALKY or not....Why is that? In general, it's just supplying more voltage to the fuel pump which in turn supplies more pressure to the regulator. But if the regulator is doing its job, why would it matter, ALKY or no ALKY?

Not trying to be contradictive, just trying to understand :D

IMHO, the electrical system in good working order shouldn't need the volt booster. It can mess up things not intended to be run at that voltage. The alky kit was designed to run on 12 volts. I've never experienced any need for the volt booster. Neither has any of my friends. Why do you feel you need it? If the fuel pump is good and you have a hot wire kit a good fuel pump should provide all the fuel you need. If your ignition system is functioning corrrectly it should provide all the spark for your needs. It may work just fine for some people with the alky kit. I would just rather not deal with any thing extra in the mix.

IMHO, the electrical system in good working order shouldn't need the volt booster. It can mess up things not intended to be run at that voltage. The alky kit was designed to run on 12 volts. I've never experienced any need for the volt booster. Neither has any of my friends. Why do you feel you need it? If the fuel pump is good and you have a hot wire kit a good fuel pump should provide all the fuel you need. If your ignition system is functioning corrrectly it should provide all the spark for your needs. It may work just fine for some people with the alky kit. I would just rather not deal with any thing extra in the mix.

It's not that I feel I necessarily need it, it was on the car when I got it. I took it off in week 2, then probably a couple of months later put it back on after the discussion from the other thread. I agree, in general that I like to eliminate things that complicate matters and add little to no value. I've stripped several 'mods' from this car over the course of a few months, and added important ones like WB and EGT.

Don't know....The log was still going after it came back to 13 or so.....But yes, 4 seconds at max A/F because O2's are at 0 (basically infinity). But during that time, TPS is at .46, Boost in Vacuum, no KR and O2's at 0. What should it do coming off WOT to zero throttle?

I guess I'm just use to my car....the afr goes to like 12:1 when I let off the gas, at like 17:1 during lean cruising...Maybe my car is the oddball, but with no knock being a little rich for a short time isn't going to keep me up ;)

I've been back and forth on this...Had it out, back in, etc. I've discussed it with Richard Clark whose opinion I greatly respect, and he's of the opinion keep it in. In fact, it was discussed in this thread: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/300030-installed-voltage-booster-slower-car.html

Interesting why it would make a difference when running ALKY or not....Why is that? In general, it's just supplying more voltage to the fuel pump which in turn supplies more pressure to the regulator. But if the regulator is doing its job, why would it matter, ALKY or no ALKY?

Not trying to be contradictive, just trying to understand :D

The problem is it creates a "bump" in the pressure of the alky kit when it kicks on. So if the alky kit turns on at 7 psi and the motor is running 14v.. fine.. then 8 psi, then 9 psi, then 10 psi.. the voltage jumps to 16.. the alky pump also gets more aggressive=more fuel into the motor. messing up its curve. Some cars that are low in the amount of alky normally can handle the added voltage as it wakes up the pump. Where the problem really shows itself is part throttle when there isnt a lot of load on the motor and you hit the 10 PSI as it makes the motor really fat.

Back to this thread. Get rid of the gauge on the rail and make one so it reaches the windshield for diagnostics. The rail one at best will fail from vibrations, at worst will develop a leak. And is useless as you cannot use it when you really need it.. case of this thread.

Lastly, the idea of tuning is to create a baseline. One should start using a street chip and low boost to get a car sorted out. Street chip is for 15-17 PSI boost, timing is 18-20 degree's. Not any other chip designed for higher octane or higher fueling. AND.. get rid of anything that didnt come with the car from factory like the volt booster, TPS enhancer, and/or any other gizmo that can mess with voltage or ecm functions.

If you cant get the car running on a stock MAF and street chip.. there is no reason to go any further and complicate things. I understand stock MAF's are getting harder to find.. but variables need to be eliminated in the process of sorting issues out

Back to this thread. Get rid of the gauge on the rail and make one so it reaches the windshield for diagnostics. The rail one at best will fail from vibrations, at worst will develop a leak. And is useless as you cannot use it when you really need it.. case of this thread.

Lastly, the idea of tuning is to create a baseline. One should start using a street chip and low boost to get a car sorted out. Street chip is for 15-17 PSI boost, timing is 18-20 degree's. Not any other chip designed for higher octane or higher fueling. AND.. get rid of anything that didnt come with the car from factory like the volt booster, TPS enhancer, and/or any other gizmo that can mess with voltage or ecm functions.

If you cant get the car running on a stock MAF and street chip.. there is no reason to go any further and complicate things. I understand stock MAF's are getting harder to find.. but variables need to be eliminated in the process of sorting issues out

Sage advice indeed!!!!! :cool:

I'm also one of those that absolutely hate the gizmo's and gimmicky add-on's like volt boosters and tps enhancers, etc. They will, at some point, always cause more problems than they are worth.
But I eventually got tired of getting rocks thrown at me everytime I tried to advise against them that I eventually just gave up.:(