You can type here any text you want

Learned a valuable lesson today on the 84 to 87 conversion.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Project TNX

Sometimes you have to undo stuff to do stuff. LOL

I undid more things today than doing new things. In my defense, there was no way to know what I should have, and should not have put on the engine when I set it in, and I was expecting these kinds of issues.

I installed the wire harness today. The big hiccup was I hadn't put my firewall heat plate (on the fiberglass heater core) back on prior to installing my engine. That blew, but nothing removing a well put on valve cover didn't heal.

My 2nd hiccup was having to remove the alternator bracket to route the wire harness correctly, no biggy and it took about 5 minutes to fix.

My 3rd hiccup, and it was the PIA hiccup, was I put the stud for the A/C to head bracket on the most inside drivers side header instead of the one it was supposed to be on. And of all the wrong places to put it, I put it on the one where I can't reach at all with the engine in. Murphy's law bit me on that one, but since I don't need that bracket I am just buying a new stud or grabbing one of the 84 if it has one and moving on with the rest of my list to do.

Sometime this week I will have a "What is this and where does it go?" picture post. Like a white ceramic coated bolt that was in the bottom of my conversion box.

But so far, it's been smooth really, no extra parts leftover, only missing about 3 things to finish it; throttle cables, wastegate solenoid, something else that is slipping my mind at the moment.

Is the wastegate solenoid the same one for an 84, if it is I have that covered as well? :confused:

If anyone has any helpful hints to throw my way, regarding the harness or brakes, or fuel, please throw them my way as those are my next hurdle. :D

I also have a question regarding the F-body Radiator swap, does their radiator have the same fittings for the tranny lines and oil lines, or would I have to bypass any of those and get a seperate cooler? Also, what year F-body radiator. Not sure I am going that route, but my 87 radiator has seen better days and for ~$100.00 it would be worth it for me to just go the F0body route. But I only want to go that route if it looks factory.

Quick questions list:

-Is the 84 wastegate solenoid the same?

-what throttle lines do I need, how many total?

-Is there any other cables I wll need that is different?

-Anyone want to shoot me, make it easy for me, LOL? :D

The 86-87 wastegate solenoid is different.
The 86-87 throttle cable is different.
The 86-87 cruise cable is different.
I'm pretty sure the 86-87 TV (detent) cable is different.

FWIW, I installed my harness the easy way,with the engine out of the car.

FWIW, I installed my harness the easy way,with the engine out of the car.

I was told by the board it was easier to install it with the engine in, LOL. Setting the harness wasn't too difficult, but that front cover area is a little jammed up, sheesh. The difference on working on something in the engine bay with the 86/87 drivetrain in as opposed to the 84/85 is astounding. Buick really jammed that hot air engine in there.

Dang it, going to have to hit Bweavy up.

Back