You can type here any text you want

LEave off MAF sensor?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JOHNDEEREGN

Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Guys, my car is totally stock. I am putting a new MAF pipe and KN filter on next weekend and wanted to know if my car will run bad leaving the MAF sensor off. I see here some of you have left them off.

TIA

Ty

Originally posted by JOHNDEEREGN
Guys, my car is totally stock. I am putting a new MAF pipe and KN filter on next weekend and wanted to know if my car will run bad leaving the MAF sensor off. I see here some of you have left them off.

??????

MAF ??????

Yes, it will run bad, unless you're also swapping to a MAFless ME, or some aftermarket ecm.

The MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor, it's how the ecm knows how much air the engine is using so that it can figure out the fueling, and timing.

Bruce

Thats what I figured I have just seen some pics of cars with the MAF tube, filter, and no sensor:confused:

I will definately put mine back on.

Just unplug it and go out for a drive and your question would be answered.

Accidently missed plugging mine in once and it run ok out the driveway but as soon as I hit the road and tried to drive it ran like crap.

I thought here we go having to spend some money on a sensor or something and was glad to find the wire I missed. Plugged it back in and it ran like a scalded dog.

I drove one of these cars home with the MAF disconnected once....It reminded me of driving a carburated car with no accelerator pump....That is my best attempt to describe just one mode of a failed MAF. :) It burned rich.

I realize there may be some kind of "Generation Gap" with this analogy ;)

HTH

Lee

Re: Bruce

Thats what I figured I have just seen some pics of cars with the MAF tube, filter, and no sensor:confused: I will definately put mine back on.

What you were seeing is cars with an engine management system installed, a DFI (digital fuel injection) or speed density. With these systems a new computer is installed and programed by you or someone that knows how to do it. The MAF is no longer needed, the system is connected to a 3 bar MAP sensor and a wideband O2 sensor. With a good system, programed right, yer car will perform better than it ever has or ever will. If programed wrong, bye! bye! motor.

Back