Lewis & Clark 'AIR RIFLE'

I wonder why everybody didn't mass produce them back then instead of using black powder? Could fire 20 times in 30 seconds with no loss of muzzle velocity? 40+ rounds without recharging? No Smoke or bang? No need to carry dangerous gunpowder? Goes clean through a 1 inch pine board? OK the 1500 pumps with a bicycle style pump to recharge would suck but for their superiority you could have a team of people behind you recharging them. Even a 50/50 mix of these with black powder would seem a good idea? Must not have packed the punch that black powder did. Great video though. No idea such a weapon existed.

I too would have thought it would have been the preferred gun. He said it would go through a one inch piece of pine at 100 yards. I would think that is enough to still kill you. Especially back then with infection if nothing else.

What historical blunder led to these not seeing mass production and development back then? These seem way more advanced than the archaic, dangerous, and inefficient black powder muzzle-loaders in use at the time. Thats actually an impressive weapon even by today's standards!

Got me thinking about calling Red Jacket LOL!!!:biggrin:

The expense of the weapon would've kept most from affording then and gun powder was cheap to manufacture by compairison. There are several variations of the air rifle that have been produced from the 1700's up and there is even a variation with a shield so the shooter could fire and not be easily hit. The history of these weapons is very neat and I didn't know that Lewis and Clark had one but I did a report on the history of fire arms in Jr high and discovered some really interesting things that should've taken off but never did.

As an example is the screw breach rifle that king George didn't think was effective. The trigger guard screwed out and there was a large hole in the back of the breach so you would load the ball first, pour the powder in, shut the breach, put powder in the pan and fire. Much faster and very accurate. Just imagine if they'd used that instead of the normal muskets that they had. Rate of fire would've increased as well as accuracy. It woul've devistated the American forces.

I first found out about them while reading a book on Napolean. If the French caught an enemy soldier with an air rifle they were immediately executed. They didn't consider using them as fighting fair.

hello peoples: I'm not much on guns and riffles but I did find that interesting also.
Looking at the riffle it has a hammer to hammer what if air is moving the ball? Pretty inpressive for the day.
IBBY
PS I just tried to find a demo video of that riffle with no luck. Maybe if someone has found one they could post it.