Lifter Bore Size

dereklola

IndyLights
Stage II 252, Kinsler intakes, road racing

I need new roller lifters to go with a new cam.
Current bore size is .875".
I believe the standard size is .842" - is that correct?

Any suggestions who might make that size (.875")

Thx - Derek

Crower Roller Followers.JPG

Stage II 252, Kinsler intakes, road racing

I need new roller lifters to go with a new cam.
Current bore size is .875".
I believe the standard size is .842" - is that correct?

Any suggestions who might make that size (.875")

Thx - Derek

View attachment 300491

It's a common lifter size. Crower can assemble a set with the correct link bar for the Buick spacing.
AG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AG - thanks for that - reason I posted my question was that Crower said they couldn't help.
I'll go back and ask my question a different way.

Is the Crower the best? Or should I try others as well? Recommendations?

AG - thanks for that - reason I posted my question was that Crower said they couldn't help.
I'll go back and ask my question a different way.

Is the Crower the best? Or should I try others as well? Recommendations?

If the lifter bores are not bushed than it could possibly be an issue if the lifter bore intersects with the main oil feed cross drilling and exposes a large leak. This is why a stock block needs a shielded foot lifter. In your case a typical SB style chevy lifter with a .875 bore and Buick link bars should do the trick. The person you talked to may not have understood your request because they may not have known that. You may need to help them along and guide them with your request so instead of asking what they have that will work, just tell them what you want and how you want it configured. The lifters in my engine are just SB chevy lifters with an offset pushrod built with the Buick link bars and are not at all a shelf part number lifter set.
Lifter tech has improved a lot since I last bought a set but at minimum I would evaluate how your oil system is with respect to the lifters and consider the HIPPO option or even the solid bushed style.
AG.

Great stuff AG - may be elementary to you - but most helpful to me to understand the specifics. I was an engineer but became a racer in retirement!

My engine was originally build by Lee Brayton for professional road racing. (Lee also built many stock block turbo Indy engines years ago.) The lifter oiling may be unique - it's certainly different from my spare block - the holes in the valley are closed with pins but only after he had used them to drill small holes (.050 or less) opposite into the left oil gallery. That is how the lifter/bore is oiled. Look carefully at the pics in next post - you'll need to enlarge the one pic to see the small holes. That is all that the left gallery feeds now. Glad to say there is no sign of the lifter bores breaking into any oil feed drillings.

I'm going to make some more inquiries with your above info help and may get back again later.

Three specific questions right now -
- do you think my oiling needs the continuous outer body shown in my pic above?
- - - most modern lifters seem to have upper and lower bodies
- what is a shielded foot lifter (briefly)?
- would the HIPPO work with my oiling?
- when you say solid bushed style do you mean no needle bearings for the roller?
- - - that would seem a retrograde action to me.

Does anyone know what the U numbers are on my blocks -
- U035 on my current block
- U1378 on my spare block
- pics in next post.

Last edited:
Three specific questions right now -

- do you think my oiling needs the continuous outer body shown in my pic above?

No, the small oil holes are actually preferred to control oil flow to the lifter. You would be surprised at how much oil can come out a .030" hole at temp.

- - - most modern lifters seem to have upper and lower bodies

- what is a shielded foot lifter (briefly)?

On a stock block the lifter galleys intersect with each lifter bore with a large opening and would expose itself when the roller gets near max lift. The shielded foot provides additional material around the roller to prevent that from happening. With a stage block or bock with lifter bushings, it opens up the opportunity to run a variety of lifter bodies and not necessarily a Buick specific one.
The band cut in the lifter giving it the upper and lower bodies as you say is probably weight reduction and possibly serves as an oil band to store lube oil and distribute it to the pushrod and roller(with HIPPO option). I'm sure there are other reasons I probably have forgotten.

- would the HIPPO work with my oiling?

The High Pressure Pin Oiling option should work and I have it on mine. Makes it less dependent on splash oil to lube the roller.

- when you say solid bushed style do you mean no needle bearings for the roller?

Yes and seems to be the latest trend in durability. The solid bushed rollers are more durable, and will not have a failure mode where loose needles can cause secondary damage. The solid bushing, as you could imagine will have less contact stress than the individual needles.

So basically all you need is a SB Chevy .875 lifter with Buick link bars. The next step would be to figure out if you want offset pushrods, HIPPO oiling(Crower) and solid bushed or needle bearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fact I have to many they are all to big for a standard block
IMG_7408.JPG

I have about 5-6 cams one cam blank . I believe I have all the stuff to make my own lifters .

Attachments

• IMG_7631.JPG
    IMG_7631.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7196.JPG
    IMG_7196.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7633.JPG
    IMG_7633.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 122