You can type here any text you want

Lifter sticking any suggestions?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I would say that theres a greater chance of it being an exhaust leak. Only took me 30 min to take the drivers side off. Inspect for cracks and put in a new gasket. At least you can rule it out then.

I am also inclined to lean that way, although yesterday, I stethoscoped the valvetrain pretty completely and the rightmost valve train on #2 is just a little clicky.
The pushrod on that valve "seems" ok, spins, not much end play.
Maybe jsut a lifter not pumping up completely? - I hope.
I seem to be able to listen the best by placing the stetho tip on the plastic rocker arm button in the center of each rocker.

Not sure if that is exhaust or intake on a 8445 head.
Rightmost as you look down at the head on the passenger side.

So, I'm going to dump the oil, and put in fresh Valvoline VR1 20/50 this morning.
Then see; or hear, what's what.

It's also interesting to listen around to the other things.
One or two of the injectors sound different than the others.
The cam module sounds just fine.
etc etc.

Thank you for you comment though.

Also check the valve spring closely. Recently had one with a broken damper, clicked like crazy. The damper is the inner flat spring.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks!
Now that's interesting information.

Although, a little above my pay grade or level of expertise.
I used to tear my Chevy 350's down to the crankshafts, but I am a little more skittish about tearing into my TR's too heavily.

When you say "check the valve spring closely"
Do you mean check the lash or the lift wsith it all assembled?
Or as in - Take of heads and examine - or -
Compressed air in the cylinder, compress the spring retainer, remove retainer, remove springs, inspect- that sort of thing?
Or could I actually see that damper spring if it were broken?
Say with a monitoring caqmera type scope?

Using a dental type mirror I was able to see that the inner spring wasn't correct. Heads and all still on the car, rocker shaft assembly was removed. IIRC, it was that where it broke the ends overlapped or something of that nature.

Look at some of the other springs to get an idea of what they should look like. Then the one that clicks.

If you have a spring removal tool easy enough to pull the spring off.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Huh..go figure.

I am going to do just that.

I think I might even bust for one of those scope cameras - just for the hey of it.
I think they can prove valuable for all sorts of poking and proding in other places.
Home Despot has a Porter/Cable version cordless type for $199, but I'll have to invesitgate and see what other brands and the price points.

Thanks for the valve spring info - I shall be looking closely at that.
I ran out of time and did not get to change the oil with fresh VR1 and a new filter yet.
Some of my buddies are convinced it might be as simple as that.

One thing leads to another
Take valve cover off..
Hmmm..look at all that dirt on the firewall..
Wipe, rub, polish, spray paint..
Take wire harness bracket off..
Blast and repaint the nasty looking and rusted bracket...
Modify it to accept that 2nd plastic main harness retainer properly rather than the harness retainer dangling by a single screw..(Really Buick - one screw? No slot at the bottom like the other one to hold it in place on both ends? Amatuer hour in Fint?) - then Repaint
Oh, look at those nasty spark plug wire hold down brackets..we certainly have to blast and repaint those
Clean and repaint the valve cover bolts - Can't put rusty bolts on nice new valve covers
You don't say, that Wastegate solenoid is turned 180 degrees?
Well now, because the last guy in here ran the harness too short down under the air idle adaptor
Oh, and the plastic sheathing is all torn up so we'll replace that..and retape the ends.
Ahh..can't say I like the length of the blue silicone tubing they used on the wastegate Y..let's fix that
Fix those nasty looking heater hoses..with the Pep Boys style hose clamps that are too damned big and gruesome looking
Replace heater control valve since - since - oh hell - look how crusty it is..
Oh my - look at the corrosion under the spark plug wires at the coil pack...clean, grease, wipe, clean again
That danged AC blower relay...let's chrome paint that...while we're here
And that's just all in that 2 foot area at the passenger side valve cover
And this WE4 is pretty clean compared to most

Oh yeah - I almost forgot - I started this to find a ticking
Ugghhhh - these cars can really suck some serious time out of me

Back