You can type here any text you want

Lifters bleed down after a short time

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

86Nick

Not your Grandpas' regal
For a while I have been having a problem with my lifters bleeding down on my 86T. Normally if it sits over night or a couple of hours. Just wondering what would cause this and how to fix it. I have no idea of the make of lifters. I bought them from Poston's they can in a plain white box and were sold as high rev lifters. I have bought a set of Harland Sharp adjustables and wondering if this might cure my problem?

i have a turbo t that has 80,000 on it and bleeds down as well . my car seems to do it at highway speeds while beating on it for short bursts?i am clueless so i am gonna follow along.hope you don't mind

i have a turbo t that has 80,000 on it and bleeds down as well . my car seems to do it at highway speeds while beating on it for short bursts?i am clueless so i am gonna follow along.hope you don't mind

No, problem hope someone can give us some info

Maybe just a case of a bad oil filter letting the oil drain down. What kind are you using?

i usually try to use ac delco . sometimes the big one sometimes the small one.don't remember the #'s 47 or 25 ?

I'm using a biggie adapter and I think it's a PF24 filter. Like I stated they Lifters were white box specials from Poston that were sold as High Rev.

Try a Mobile 1 filter. Seems to me they have a better valve in them that helps prevent oil from draining down out the system. When I used other filters I had lifter noise on start ups just as you describe. Specially if the car would sit.

I'll try that. It's pretty hard to show off your car to friends when they want to hear it run and having to explain to them the tapping on start up. I also have a small smoking problem too during idle I have to figure out.

Would a leaking oil pump also be apart of a leak down problem?

If it was a bad leak mabe it could have some effect but IMO it would have to be pretty severe. See how the filter helps. Make sure and post back with results.

While a good anti-drainback valve is important for lubrication upon startup, I don't think the lifters should be making that noise every time the car is started and certainly not while running at highway speeds. I think it's time for new lifters, especially for ttaowner's T. The anti-drainback valve can't keep the oil in bad lifters since it just drains down the lifter bores to the cam; all it does is keep the oil galleries primed when the motor is not running so it gets to the bad lifters and pumps them up more quickly. And when the car is running, the anti-drainback valve has no function as it's fully open then, so ttaowner's car apparently just has bad lifters, plain and simple.

not sure if this will help your problem but so far it seemed to solve my problems try seafoam.

Motor Treatment - Sea Foam

never heard of it till last thursday i bought some dumped in part of a can and drove around for a couple days and seemingly problems are gone.

i had a lifter sticking or something when on the highway if i got into it for a half mile or more i guess the lifters bled done and starting to clatter away and was showing lots of knock on the scan master.well since i put this seafoam in the car it seems fine now. i bought a small can it was like $10 and most parts stores seem to have it.can't hurt worse case scenario you waste $10

not sure if this will help your problem but so far it seemed to solve my problems try seafoam.

Motor Treatment - Sea Foam

never heard of it till last thursday i bought some dumped in part of a can and drove around for a couple days and seemingly problems are gone.

i had a lifter sticking or something when on the highway if i got into it for a half mile or more i guess the lifters bled done and starting to clatter away and was showing lots of knock on the scan master.well since i put this seafoam in the car it seems fine now. i bought a small can it was like $10 and most parts stores seem to have it.can't hurt worse case scenario you waste $10

REALLY? Did you pour it in the gas tank or I the oil? I work for a county fleet and we use this in a lot of or off-road vehicles. Never heard of any miracles of adding SEAFOAM to or vehicles.

REALLY? Did you pour it in the gas tank or I the oil? I work for a county fleet and we use this in a lot of or off-road vehicles. Never heard of any miracles of adding SEAFOAM to or vehicles.

He would have had to pour it in the oil to free the lifters. The video on the website recommends pouring 1/3 of it into a main vacuum line, 1/3 into the crankase, and the last 1/3 into the fuel tank. Nice work, ttaowner! Glad it worked for you and hope it continues to work out.

i bought a 64,000 mile we4 that sat in the original owners front yard for 4 years i had it in the 11's within a month of ownership tranny lasted a couple of months and maybe 7,000 HARD MILES put another tranny in that lasted MAYBE ANOTHER 10,000 MILES and within a year of ownership car was broken and on 1 of my lifts for over 2 1/2 years while i was onto otherstuff. CAR NEVER HAD A LIFTER PROBLEM BEFORE SITTING FOR 2 1/2 YEARS ON A LIFT. well about june i got motivated got another tranny back in the car sorted out a vaccum leak i had and i was ready for the track! well on the highway on the way to the track i was hammering on it for about 1/2 mile and my scanmaster was going wild with knock i let off the gas and it was still knocking so i figured i blew the engine well i babied it to a off ramp idled into a parking lot and then the noise went away so then i figured i did not spin a bearing like i thought must be a lifter? well after driving around a few more days not beating on it i took it back up on the highway and if i beat on it for short bursts repeatedly it would start knocking then i would get off highway till it pumped back up.at the track it never gave me a problem? raced a amg mercedes on the way home from the track for a good mile probably doing over 140 had him all the way but when i got off the gas it was making lifter noise again. well this never ever gave me a problem around town just on the highway when i on it for a length of time. car sat a lot of the summer because of this. dumped seafoam in and put about 3 gallons worth of methanol through the engine in the last few days not 1 problem since.

this took care of my lifter problem and only cost $10 not sure if it will work for everybody though.

Back