You can type here any text you want

Lifters losing prime???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1chance

Hi, i just did another engine, and the driver side lifters took forever to prime, but they finally quiet down,but they never sprayed oil out of the like the passenger side did, then i drove the car for about 30miles, and it ran great. This morn started it up it ran good for about 10min, and then the driver side lifters started tapping again, why would it do that??? Any one got pics of the oiling system of this engine??

Also if this helps, it has a 210/215 roller cam, thx for any replys. Has the new front cover from T/A performance. 4.1 production block.

Front cam bearing new? When the bearing wears out the drivers side lifters clack. The lifters get there oil from the #1 bearing when it wears the oil bleeds off and not much gets over there. If it's new maybe its clocked wrong. This could restrict the oil flow until the engine gets warm and oil is thinner.

Yes its new, so may be clocked wrong. That means i got to pull the engine down, or all the way:eek:, thanks for the reply.

OK, i pulled the engine down, and checked the bearing, The front cam bearing is a little off the hole for the driver side oil hole, but i could get a coffee straw thru the hole, but its not like the one in m 109, which is lined up perfect with the edge of the hole. Its getting oil to the pass side lifters like crazy, so why not driver side?? I think ive screwed up the front bearing trying to rotate the bearing conter clockwise, so is is impossible to get this front bearing out, and install a new one?? Also the front bearing in my 109 block seem to be in bad shape, would that mean that the cam needs repalcing??? Is that why oil isnt getting to the driver side??

4.1 is not the same as a 109......

Problem is 109 blocks have a groove in the block(most of them) that lets oil go behind the cam bearing to the other side,and most flat tappet cams have a groove in the #1 cam bearing journal to also feed the left side lifters. A 4.1 and a roller cam = no way for oil to get over there. TA performance sells some bearings that are grooved on the back side to get oil to the other side of the block. Call them and see if they offer a set for the 4.1

Dam! i cant remember anyone saying anything about this. Can i install the front one only, or do have to take it out the car again? How do you get them out, can i just pry the front one out?

Yes,you can do it in the car. Not a big deal at all.

Thanks alot, i will give TA a call in the AM, i hope this fixs my problem. What would i do without you guys, and girls. I was just going to install another bearing. Would have pulled out all my hair trying to get this one, i was thinking of cutting a grove in the first hole, but ill stick with the TA deal, thanks again.

Called TA today they are sending out a groved front bearing, do i need to be concernd about replacing cam? The engine had great oil psi 30 hot, will this cause my oil psi to drop alot?

Thx again, is it hard to get this bearing out/in? Do i need to get some sort of special tool to remove, and install the front one???

There is a tool but the front may be doable without it altho I'm not 100% sure as I have never tried it myself. You can probably rent the tool but its like 2 ft long so in the car may be an issue? Rad will definately have to come out.

Problem fixed! Got the part yesterday, and i installed it. Oil is getting there. I also cleaned a lot of trash out of my turbo filter, and now the car is smoking, and the turbo seem to be wet!!! If its not one thing, it another. Anyway oil psi is at 20 hot, i think all this plays a part. Thx for all the info, oh i install the bearing with a small block of 2x4.

Back