You can type here any text you want

little help here...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

denn454

turbo swimmer
I had a chance to hook up turbo link to my car yesterday (thanks lee!) now i have more questions than i started with. I know i have 37# injectors, i found the recept for that, from percision turbo, a chip was also bought at the same time, but all it says on the recept is hp street. the chip itsself says 22* 30# and 93 octane. I found a piece of paper that says the chip was made by joe lubrant. on turbolink its prom id was 080, is that made for the 37# injectors (0304 delphi)? and 22* of timming is quite a bit too right? I can only get 91 octane up here at 6,000 ft so i'm thinking i need to get a new chip made for my setup. any ideas?

More information....

We hooked Tlink to Denn454's 87 TR. It showed 9.9 degrees of knock retard (WOT at the shift point from first to second gear.) O2's were always over 800 millivolts, 15-16 pounds of boost.

A daily driver, the best gas he can get is 91 octane....So, that's a limiting factor.

He's looking for a method to bring the knock retard under control and reduce the Rich condition. My advice was to get a chip with less timing, then, fix the exhaust leaks and start raising the boost until the O2 reading gets between 760 and 780 Millivolts.

Anybody know what the prom ID of "080" indicates?

Dennis, are there any more numbers on those injectors? I don't think "0304" are the numbers we're after. Look for a longer set of numbers. Reciepts are good, but your eyes on the numbers on your injectors is even better :)

If they have the fat grey body, then they are Delphi 37's. With only 91 octane, you'll be limited to about 14-15psi and 16-17 degrees timing.

Eric

positive the last 4 numbers are 0304, checked it 3 times. it is the grey bodied ones.

as for being limited to 14-15# on 91 octane, that might be true at sea level, but i am at roughly 6,000 ft. I'm no expert by any means, nor do i really know what i'm doing but i do think that the increased altitude should offset the lack of octane. I'm just guessing here but i think it would be the equivelent to 93 octane at sea level, or somewhere close. Or am I all wrong? just a thought...

Yes, we can get along with 2 octane less at these altitudes....For normally aspirated engines.

The boost changes all that for a turbocharged engine. Adding 2 pounds of boost brings us right back down to sea level octane requirements, as boost increases, octane requirements continue to increase too.

A couple extra pounds of boost will make up the difference in the altitude between sea level and 5,000 feet. If you add 2 extra pounds of boost to the 14-15 pounds Stage I mentioned, you come up with the 16 you're running now. That leaves a chip with less timing advance as your best move now. Stage I hit the nail on the head :)

I spoke to Larry Strube last night. My Ta-49 will be ready soon :) Call him and have him listen to your knock. There is a 50/50 chance it could be something you'd want to fix before your engine self destructs. Then again, the knock could be in something powered by the serpentine belt.

That sure is a clean TR you have there. I would believe it has 50k on it instead of the 150k you say it has on the clock. A great find on your part Dennis.

lee

thats good to know, not what i wanted to hear, but good none the less. do you have larrys phone number or email address? i'd like to get that straightend out before too long, don't need anything happening and costing me more money.

the car really is 150k miles, its very well doccumented, every oil change has either a recept or was wrote down when and how many miles, usually every 2,000 miles. the interior was replaced in january 01, really is pretty clean aside from some cheap paint.

I'm in Colroado also, and i'm trying to run the Thrasher 92 chip. think I will have problems if I run the good Amoco gas?

Back