You can type here any text you want

Local SCCA Region Feels the wrath...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6inKY

Short Guy
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Yes, moving against the "common" knowledge that these cars don't handle, I set out to prove otherwise at a local SCCA Solo II event.

Now, I normally run a Subaru WRX, but it had an unfortunate run-in with a guardrail, so I had to run the Buick in order to keep up my points for the year...

Anyway, I finished last place in my class (SM), but that's not so bad. My boost controller put me in the class, which was full of much lighter cars and I was the only person in the class not on R compound tires, and it was the first time I had really had an opportunity to push the car in the curves.

However, I DID finish the course faster than several cocky Honduh and Volkswagon drivers. If the Subaru gets totalled and I have to run the Buick all year, a nice set of Hoosiers should close the gap.

Now for the fun stuff: Pictures (56K warning, these are kinda big).
buickturn1.jpg

buickturn2.jpg

OMG, Looks like fun, the t-tops off and ripping thru the corners!!!
:cool:

Good looking car you have. Looks like it can handle those corners pretty well.

Originally posted by TDS-84
Good looking car you have. Looks like it can handle those corners pretty well.

Thanks everybody!

It's surprising. Very neutral at the limit. It took a bit of preparation to move the car from wet noodle handling to decent, though. The two large patches of metal missing due to the T-Tops are sorely missed.

It has every brace Kirban sells, Bilstein shocks, Wilwood front brakes (best deal going on brake upgrades for this car, period), and Energy Suspension poly bushings all around. The front end is aligned with -0.5 degrees of camber with a smidgeon of toe out. The springs and sway bars are stock.

The car is severely limited by tires. The rears spun at will, and the fronts were screaming all around the course, even with 48lbs of air in them. The tires are 245/50R16 Yokohama A540s. Good street tires, but not so much when you push it. I should find out if the Subaru is coming back by today or tomorrow. If it isn't, I'll be snagging some WIIIIIIIDE 15" rims and some Hoosier or Kumho autocross tires, and the next thread I post here should contain a picture of my trophy.

Ron, if you make it to the club meeting Saturday, remind me to show you the brakes. They're purty.

I noticed you mentioned something about the ttops, but my question is why run a road course without them...i would think it would help body twisting from happening with them installed....

Originally posted by TylerDurden
I noticed you mentioned something about the ttops, but my question is why run a road course without them...i would think it would help body twisting from happening with them installed....

Actually, no. They'll break. Shatter directly over your head. Big mess.

Awesome post and pictures.

It makes me wish more of the turbo Buick community got into this type of racing instead of just concentrating on the drag strip. It would certainly help aleviate the myth that cars like ours handle like boats.

I'm looking at actually modifying the suspension, brakes, and different wheel and tire combos for my car to improve the handling. Let's face it, our cars already have power in spades.

;)

a few years back, before the car was mine...my dad took the T Type to an SCCA style event. I drove the T there and he brought the then-new 96 Impala SS. The Impala was so frickin wide we hit damn near 20 cones with it, so we retired that and brought out the T. Not hoping to do well, we actually finished 6th out of 18 cars, even beating 2 third gen camaros and an eclipse. You must know, my dad drives everything like he's doing the chase scene from gone in 60 seconds, so he drove the wheels off that car (as Darrell Waltrip would say) boogity boogity

Originally posted by Turbo6inKY
Thanks everybody!
It has every brace Kirban sells, Bilstein shocks, Wilwood front brakes (best deal going on brake upgrades for this car, period), and Energy Suspension poly bushings all around. The front end is aligned with -0.5 degrees of camber with a smidgeon of toe out. The springs and sway bars are stock.

I was going to ask what suspension mods you had, there is very little body roll evident in the pics. Looks great. How far behind the leader were you? I've placed last in class before too with just over a second between me and first place, "last place" can be deceiving!

Even though I'm a Honduh owner I agree that more GN, F-bod, and Mustang guys should get out to the SOLO II events. They're great fun and the car isn't as important as the driver. Besides, it's fun watching ricers (and everyone else) get trounced by an F-stock 3rd gen Camaro driven by a regional champion. I think he took FTD out of all stock classes that particular day. That was impressive.

Originally posted by S2000
How far behind the leader were you? I've placed last in class before too with just over a second between me and first place, "last place" can be deceiving!

I was about four seconds out. I'll give two seconds to the tires, and another two to me not knowing the car that well in that situation.

It'll get better.

looks sweet, I am looking at doing a SCCA event here in Tucso soon but not in my Turbo Car in my Daily driver a 87 CRX, But maybe I will bring out the TTA later on.

Back