You can type here any text you want

Locked or Unlocked???

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Converter locked or not???

• Locked in 2nd only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Locked in 3rd only

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Locked in both 2nd and 3rd

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Unlocked for entire pass

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
During a 1/4 pass, do you lock the converter? If so, at what point is it locked and what kind of MPH do you turn in both the 1/8 and 1/4 mile?

With the stock D5, I would lock it on the line. Best mph was 111.09 but that was with all the stock stuff.

With the multi disc Vigilante, I would lock it in 3rd gear at 5000. It was just like another shift when it would lock and it would pull incredible. Best mph 121.4. 1/8 mph was only 91 with that chip as it couldn't build boost at the line. Had that problem solved with some of Eric's chips but didn't go back to the track before I sold it. I could launch with the TurboTweak chip but laid down in high gear with the first couple of chips. The third revision was great but didn't test it :(

Same here with the stock D5, locked at the line.

With the TA61 and 9x11, boost drops a little on the
2-3 shift, when the convertor is locked its worse.
Until I iron out that issue, set the extender chip to
lock a 97 mph.

91 1/8 116 1/4

I lock it towards the top of 2nd and have ran 111.xx. On the same night I ran it unlocked and only ran 106.xx. This is with an orange stripe converter.

sorry guys - i'm a manual tranny guy... this is the only automatic car i own.

can you explain to me about locking up the converter? can you even do this with the stock drivetrain or are you running something else?

Originally posted by j13smiley
can you explain to me about locking up the converter? can you even do this with the stock drivetrain or are you running something else?

By locking the converter you get no converter slip (becomes a manual tranny in essence)

Yes, stock chip already locks the converter in cruise to help eliminate heat build up from converter slippage.

Check this out

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/electrical/switches.html

I did the 3 pole switch, fan and TCC . If you take out the
ash tray in the TTA there is a nice slot cut in the plastic, switch
fits perfectly, no cutting.

Paperclip jumper from "F" on the ALDL to the ground on the
ALDL (forgot witch pin that is) can accomplish the same thing
HTH

Frank,
I also have that boost drop problem that I've been ripping my hair out trying to overcome! For the most part it will drop from 25 psi to ~19 psi when the converter locks in 3rd. Now, if I run it up higher in the rpm's and lock it, it doesn't drop at all and pulls like mad. Eric M. and I have been trying all kinds of different things to make it go away, to no avail. I even switched over to Razors PAC thinking it would fix it. It helped a lot but didn't cure it. At least now it doesn't drop from 25 psi to 10 psi like it did with the SMC kit. What I'm pretty sure it is is that the PI 5 disc doesn't allow for ANY converter slip and drags the motor down SO much it loads up with the alky while it's in a lower RPM fueling table. When I had a D5 it didn't do it, matter of fact, it would spike a few psi on the lock prolly due to some extra RPM. So, untill I finger it out, it looks like I'll be locking the TCC mucho later in the pass....doesn't help with the MPH at all!!

Joe,
I only had the "alky flood" problem if I locked the converter too soon. I also had a multi disc 3200 Vig. I would lock it in 3rd at 5000 and it would feel just like another gear. No drop in boost at all. Only if I locked it early would it bog down some until the rpm picked backed up.

Originally posted by turbov6joe
Frank,
I also have that boost drop problem that I've been ripping my hair out trying to overcome! For the most part it will drop from 25 psi to ~19 psi when the converter locks in 3rd. Now, if I run it up higher in the rpm's and lock it, it doesn't drop at all and pulls like mad. Eric M. and I have been trying all kinds of different things to make it go away, to no avail. I even switched over to Razors PAC thinking it would fix it. It helped a lot but didn't cure it. At least now it doesn't drop from 25 psi to 10 psi like it did with the SMC kit. What I'm pretty sure it is is that the PI 5 disc doesn't allow for ANY converter slip and drags the motor down SO much it loads up with the alky while it's in a lower RPM fueling table. When I had a D5 it didn't do it, matter of fact, it would spike a few psi on the lock prolly due to some extra RPM. So, untill I finger it out, it looks like I'll be locking the TCC mucho later in the pass....doesn't help with the MPH at all!!

Yeh I hear ya, I could run 25#'s all the way down track with
the converter locked on the D5, when it eventually spooled;) , this running "tuner" style on the wastegate. When I switched to the 9x11 is when I noticed the issue. But at the same time I went
back to the stock wastegate plumbing and got a boost commander from Ramchargers. So I was also thinking it had something to do with that. Weird thing is I can run 17-20ish with no drop in 3rd. I run 112 all the time at the track, so doesn't have anything to do with alky for me. I dunno, I'll play around with it though, been to hot to go to the tracks out here in Cali.
If you find a fix, let me know.

Duh

Hey Joe,

Fixed my boost drop problem.:p

Boost commander from Ramchargers has a 3rd gear boost scaling feature on the back of the unit. When I got it, the instructions basically only told you how to install it. Used this board for a reference as far as how to adjust the trim pots, got some bad info and had it turned up to max. boost reduction when I thought it was completely off :eek:

As far as the converter thing goes, I've found that locking it at ~80 mph +- 1 or 2 keeps the boost rock solid the rest of the pass. I'd like to be able to lock it the entire pass (2 and 3) for the extra MPH, but I guess this is better than nothing. We'll see what the ported heads and cam will do this winter???

Back