You can type here any text you want

Looking for wheel well moulding screws.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbodan

Anyone know where I can get some wheel well moulding screws. The molding on my car is chrome. Are the screws stainless?

Turbodan said:
Anyone know where I can get some wheel well moulding screws. The molding on my car is chrome. Are the screws stainless?
----------------------------------------------
Maybe kirban Performance.
The wheel outline molding on '86-'87 T-Types & Turbo-T's is stainless, not chrome, if that is the car that you are referring to.

yep, stainless. They are for my 87 turbo T. Anyone know the size of the screws?

To my knowledge, the screws are zinc plated carbon steel. GM is not in the habit of supplying stainless steel fasteners.

Interestingly, to my recollection, new front moldings include screws (referred to as a "kit"), rears do not.

The screws are listed as follows in my 44W book:

SCREW, Rd Hd C/R Tap W/Wa Face (M8x18x3/4) Zn

I believe the M to be incorrect, and that the screws are simply #8-18, 3/4" long.

If the holes in your fenders/quarters are wallowed out you might want to consider #10 screws.

strike

FWIW & IMHO:
I just took a close look at all 4 corners on my '87 turbo-t and the screws holding all of the wheel well outline moldings appear to be stainless. Zinc processing/plating has a different coloring than stainless steel.

Wells said:
FWIW & IMHO:
I just took a close look at all 4 corners on my '87 turbo-t and the screws holding all of the wheel well outline moldings appear to be stainless. Zinc processing/plating has a different coloring than stainless steel.

Well, that may be, but I have 2 new-in-the-wrapper, bright, rear wheel opening moldings for an 87 Turbo T, each with new-in-the-wrapper screw packets containing 6 screws each that clearly look to me to be plated and are STRONGLY magnetic. This plus the information in my 44W book leads me to believe that the screws are NOT stainless.

However, since we haven't heard for the original poster in a while, perhaps it no longer matters.

strike

Regarding my earlier post, a correction. The rear moldings are a kit and include screws, the fronts do not.

hey turbo dan.. do what i do, go to sears hardware, on the northeast corner of 12 and vandyke, and on the very first isle to your right, as you walk in, is a full isle of screws. take one of your old ones in, and do the screw dance that i do every other day. if not, i would try kirbans/postons for sure. are you in michigans turbo buick club? i think i know you.

Yep, I am in Michigan. I actually live by a Sears at the Macomb Mall. I don't have the original screws. When i bought the car it was missing the wheel well molding. Hmm, I was at the Turbo Buick meeting on Woodward during the cruise. I have not become a member yet. Maybe i met you there. Do you cruise Gratiot?

strikeeagle said:
Well, that may be, but I have 2 new-in-the-wrapper, bright, rear wheel opening moldings for an 87 Turbo T, each with new-in-the-wrapper screw packets containing 6 screws each that clearly look to me to be plated and are STRONGLY magnetic. This plus the information in my 44W book leads me to believe that the screws are NOT stainless.
However, since we haven't heard for the original poster in a while, perhaps it no longer matters.
strike
Regarding my earlier post, a correction. The rear moldings are a kit and include screws, the fronts do not.
------------------------------------------
Strike:
I am not disputing your findings nor your analysis, but I will stand by my original belief that mine are stainless, appear to be about as magfnetic as the wheel well outline molding itself, and the finish on both of them appear to me to be non-plated stainless. My car is an original 17K mile car. What would you do if you were GM, ran out of stainless steel screws for the wheel well outline molding, but had an excess of others accessible? FWIW< about a year ago I went to a GM dealership to check the availability of the screws that hold on the i/c shroud. They gave me what appeared to be zinc plated, but were definite silver in color. Originals were black. HTH

i was at the meeting on woodward as well. and i cruise gratiot DAILY. i know everyone out there. if you ever seen a stock appearing grand national, that was me. all day every day. im the only one out there. the only other tr out there sometimes, is a (now) dark metallic blue tr with gn rims. were at woodys all the time. i have the original screws youre looking for. i will either bring a screw to you, so you can hook it up, or well figure something out. tell me what ya think

I have went up to Woody's once in awhile. Have not cruised Gratiot much. Here is a pic of my car. Maybe you have seen me at Woody's.

Attachments

• buick.jpg
    buick.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 133
Wells said:
------------------------------------------
Strike:
I am not disputing your findings nor your analysis, but I will stand by my original belief that mine are stainless, appear to be about as magfnetic as the wheel well outline molding itself, and the finish on both of them appear to me to be non-plated stainless. My car is an original 17K mile car. What would you do if you were GM, ran out of stainless steel screws for the wheel well outline molding, but had an excess of others accessible? FWIW< about a year ago I went to a GM dealership to check the availability of the screws that hold on the i/c shroud. They gave me what appeared to be zinc plated, but were definite silver in color. Originals were black. HTH

Good by me...

strike

yep thats me. you won that car off of ebay havent you. does your turbo cover have those flames on it? its me tony ;)

I know cars take great pics, but thats a sweet lookin ride i like you're rims to what are they and size. :eek:

Hey Tony!!! I thought about it. Who is always driving up and down Gratiot and racing anything that moves. What's been going on? You still planning on enlisting for another tour of duty? Driving the GN in the winter? Yep, I have flames on my turbo sheild.

onefastcar said:
I know cars take great pics, but thats a sweet lookin ride i like you're rims to what are they and size. :eek:

Thanks alot. They are 18" ROH Rims with Sumitomo tires and lowered an inch with Eiback springs. Planning on selling the Rim's and tires and getting 16" Rims

hey dan, go into sears, on the north east corner of 12 and vandyke.. walk in the front door, turn right immediately. youll be in the screw isle. now, to your right, on that wall, youll see about 3 feet worth of nail boxes, after that, there will be rows of grey plastic organizers. the third row in, youll see the stainless steel section. on that third row, eye level, youll see screws that look to be identical to the ones im running. theres several styles there. buy 2 or 3, and try em out. dont use anything BUT stainless for your wheelwells, or they will rust guaranteed. i know cuz i did it.

Back