You can type here any text you want

Looking to upgrade my suspension

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1984 t-type

Murphy's Law
Well my over the winter projects for my car are to upgrade the exhaust and suspension, both are more than tired and needed. My goal for the suspension is to go with either 17 or 18" wheels with the widest tires possible I want it to have that pro touring look but without the pro touring price tag. I don't want it slammed because the roads around Detroit are rough. I would like to use new stock suspension pieces to keep cost down and maybe just buy upgraded shocks and springs to get the look and ride quality I'm looking for. Any suggestions on what parts to buy ? Would love to keep my parts total around a grand if possible. Can I get great ride quality out of a stock suspension with performance springs or do I need to take it to the next level ? Oh by the way my car is just a cruiser no trips to the track

Your tires & wheels are going to blow your budget right there. I have 17" wheels on my car & think they look just right. 18" may be too large.

~JM~

For a grand you have to look at used parts. Very used parts. 17" dr's are over 200 each.

Sorry for the confusion but I'm looking to invest a grand into just the suspension parts, I can do most of the labor or have my buddy help me and the wheels and tires are going in the layaway at the local rim and tire shop. So that grand I'm looking to spend is just for parts and I'm prepared to go a little higher I'm just not looking to drop 5k on a race setup for my cruiser.

First off is to make sure the OEM equipment is in good shape to begin with. Do you have welding & fabrication skills? If you do, then you could "Box" your lower control arms & do the same with the front A-arms. New Bilstien shocks & Eibach or Moog lowering springs will really help. Have you done any of the frame braces that are available through Kirbans & other vendors? I installed the front braces underneath the car & was immediately pleased with the results. http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br...0063-your-car-needs-braces-best-mod-ever.html

Doing the braces, new springs & new shocks will be less than your $1K target & be a huge improvement.

~JM~

PS. You should look into new body bushings also, whether they be urethane or rubber. If you go with urethane make sure you get the black ones. They have graphite mixed into them & tend to squeak less.

Thanks for the help JM.
Any idea what moog springs I should go with? I read in a post a list of different moog springs part number and the spring rates but I'm clueless as to what those numbers actually mean. As far as my current stock parts I know the shocks and springs are tired and I just figured I would replace all of the stock tie rods and ball joints just to be on the safe side.

Sway Bars, Braces and Wheels & Tires and the car will feel 100% better!

Scot W.

I'm afraid I can't provide any info on selecting the correct Moog springs. I've seen the charts with the various spring lengths, rates, etc, and it just confuses me.

When I get around to doing my Malibu I will probably just pick-up the Eibach kit off of eBay.

~JM~

Bang for the Buck? B-car spindles, Hotchkis tubular upper control arms, poly bushings in boxed stock rear control arms, 1LE front sway bar, used Koni's, poly end links, and all the stiffening braces. 16" x 8" wide GTA wheels with sticky tires.
Conrad

What do the b body spindles do ?( Lower the ride height) what kind of car is a b body ? And what do the tubular control arms offer over stock ones ?

In order or importance in IMO:

1) Black polyurethane body bushings all around. They do not have a harsh ride quality and rarely squeak if installed properly contrary to what a lot of people say. You can have all the suspension mods in the world, but if your body is just floating around on top of the frame, then everything else is a moot point.

2) Bilstein shocks or KYB shocks (to save a few $s)

3) Tubular upper a lower rear control arms

4) Variable rate rear springs in the back (can be purchased at NAPA for around $85 or so)

That's it. You will have a markedly improved ride from just those four upgrades. Leave everything else alone until you get that stuff done. All of the front suspension can be left as-is for the time being until you acquire more funds for other suspension mods. FWIW, I never had much use for any of the body bracing except for the x-bars that go across the rear seat area. I tried a lot of them and they just got in the way of things and didn't seem to help. However, that's AFTER I did everything else listed above. Just my $0.02.

Back