You can type here any text you want

lots hesitation & stumbling

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

buick83-T

83' T-type
Just bolted on a rebuilt carb recently. The settings were way off (TPS and mixture control). Finally I adjusted the tps to 1.20v and the mixture control i moved 3/4 turn clockwise. I was seeing up into the high 600's on the otc 2000 at part throttle. Car seemed to be running good until i gave it some boost 5-10. Then it started stumbling really bad. I had to keep pating the gas to keep it from stalling all the way home. checked one of the plugs thinking they were fouled the tip was alittle white but it seemed to be smutty around edges. I know that i was hearing some light spark knock too. Seems to be bogging if i rev the motor. could this be weak ignition? Can someone tell me whats wrong?

Thanks

Check you primary metering rods. They maybe stuck down. Just an idea.

idle problem

Fc227,
Checked car today and it would crank up and stay on at high step(choke on) but if i let it off the car will not idle. Could this be that the baseplate idle mixture screws need adjusting? Im sure that they have are off some because the mechanic i last took it to messed with it. The car ran fine(idle was alittle rough) until day before yesterday. Now it just seems like it wont idle.

Thanks

Yes, they could need adjustment. First, make sure you have no vacuum leaks. (Disconnected vacuum lines, bad gasket, etc.).

Do you have Doug Roe's Carburetor book? It's a worthwhile investment.

idle adjustment

FC227,
ok I will try adjusting the idle screws some. My vaccum seems to be good im getting 19-20 in park.

B4black,
No, I dont have the doug roe book just a haynes manual.

more stumbling

Took car down the road today started to do fine then after 3-5 minutes it started acting up agin. I just finished checking the primaries and they are'nt sticking. Also when it first started doing this it was shooting gas up through the carb.:confused:

Sticky float. Or the float is binding. Where was it shooting fuel out of ? The fuel bowl vent?

problem found i think

Checked the spark plugs they were very smutty. The first one i checked wasnt as smutty on the tip as the other ones they were solid black.

Fc227,
Fuel shot up from the air valve on primaries. Does fouled plugs cause this? I think my ignition is weak. I have Accel HEI super coil but the plug wires are only 8mm carquest. But i have some 8.8 Accel race wires on the way.:D

Sounds like a float problem. The engine is flooding with gas,that will foul the plugs out.

Problem found

I finally got car running right. It was the rich stop screw too far down. I added new Autolite 24 plugs with .35 gap and some Accel 8.8 race wires.

The rich stop screw is an adjustment involving the ECM controlled carbs. 1978/80 carbs won't have it.

Back