Loud ticking or popping noise coming from I think behind intake plenum

I'm not being a smart @$$ but are you guys at least running alky or race gas with all the boost your putting into your stock motors?
I ask because I don't see any indication in the posts or sigs.

If you're seeing near 20KR....you're killing your motor fast. Especially up in the 65-75mph range where the load is the highest.

If you're seeing over 6KR regularly....you're killing it slowly....and should find out why.

Other than a general shot gun dissassembly, a proper leak down test is the only way you'll be able to honesty isolate any internal issues and where they are coming from.

im on stock boost. nearly stock everything. but i was just told its the distibutor. its oddly very loud on cold days for some reason.

im on stock boost. nearly stock everything. but i was just told its the distibutor. its oddly very loud on cold days for some reason.

Lesson #1:biggrin:
Don't listen to folks who don't know Turbo Buicks, and if you're taking the car to a mechanic...make sure it's one who knows these cars or he might give you as many or more problems than what you had before you went to see him.:eek:

These cars don't have distributors.

They have the cam sensor. It sits at the front of the engine just above the water pump and to the side of the alternator...Little black cannister shaped thing with a few wires sticking out of it...Don't touch it if you don't know how to set it.

I'm not sure what to make of the fact you don't know there's no distributor on a turbo buick. Do you do your own work on it?

Im a Bit concerned about all the guys in this thread with ticking noises under the hood:eek:. FWIW FUEL INJECTORS MAKE A TICKING NOISE, but they wont cause knock. Also like Turbodr1 said about the lifters is a good place to start. Dont forget about broken flexplates.

im buying a scanmaster this paycheque but as far as i know i have no knock. the noise is definitely the cam sensor. and ye si know its not a distibutor i just call it that out of habit. my mechanic and the machine shop both called it a cam sensor. and i only do minor work on it myself, im no mechanic, ive got 4 years of high school auto, but i dont remeber much to be honest. i know basics, thats it. and the noise is 100% from the cam sensor, which i haven't touched. the stethoscope only picks up the sound from the sensor.

well after a major down time and major rebuild i found my noise. it was coming from a badly worn valve guide on #2 cyl. i could of sworn it wasnt in the heads ,they didnt have 2000 miles on them. why in the world they they use k-line liners for (i know why,ive talked to tom ) but you know he could or should of come up with something better. there are a lot of different turbo cars out there that run bronze guides. (makes me think he has a design flaw in the head) well i bit the bullet and went with bronze guides ,it might be a mistake . but isure in hell arent putting them junky k-liners in my heads. it might not work out and it might take out my charger but its a risk i will take. this is how i manage to keep a low mileage ride (lots of down time) 2 years worth