You can type here any text you want

low boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83ttypecooled

Just purchased an 89 TTA .I'm pretty familiar with turbo Buicks.Do you think that I should pull the turbo and do a complete inspection of compressor and turbine if my boost never gets over 11 psi? The intercooler seems OK, am replacing hoses though my intercooler pressure test was done with the originals and showed no leakage. Cleaned and painted it anyway, going back with Kirban's HD kit. This is not an issue with the actuator or solenoid, nor an exhaust obstruction. Could the intercooler be obstructed? Have I missed anything? The motor seems to be in tiptop shape for it's age. Your thoughts on this will be appreciated. Oh, by the way, I have had the exhaust bell off, and have inspected the compressor through the inlet bell, can't see a problem. Thanks!

IS the Y connector going the right way from the turbo lines? If not, that could cause low boost scenario like you are having... just one more thing to check. You could always put on a bleeder valve and see if you can make more boost.

Not a reply but more questions. What will the factory waste gate linkage allow for boost without the electronic bleed assist soleniod plugged in? What are the bleed solenoid control senarios ? IE: when doesn't the ecm allow for more boost . Thanks in advance, Pat

Pat, I've disconnected the wastegate entirely, with no positive results. After inspecting the intercooler, I think the problem must be with the turbo. What do you think?

Dale

Just a wondering what gauge you are using to measure boost? This season my factory gauge only ever shows 10-11-12 Lbs. but I'm sure theres more psi than that. Today I am going to demo a real gauge to prove it.

Just as suspected , Boost was an actual 14 - 15 - 16 Lbs. Dale, if youve unhooked wastegate linkage and control hose and still have minimal boost perhaps the gate itself is stuck partially open. That or there is damage to turbo. Good luck with search , Pat

I have temporarily installed another gauge, makeshift but serviceable, which seems to agree with the stocker. Also, throttle response is poor and seat of the pants doesn't compare to my well worn ttype. I could try a third gauge... All you guys out there, are gauge calibration problems an issue with these cars?
Thanks for all the responses!

Back