You can type here any text you want

lower engine knock at 1900 to 2200 rpm

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
no roller cam it's hydraulic. already tryed the plug wire trick to see if it was in a certain cylinder. balancer is tight. to me it sounds like something is loose. thrust is at .007 . i've got an oil leak i can't find around the pan/girdle some where so i guess i'll just go ahead and pull it out

no roller cam it's hydraulic. already tryed the plug wire trick to see if it was in a certain cylinder. balancer is tight. to me it sounds like something is loose. thrust is at .007 . i've got an oil leak i can't find around the pan/girdle some where so i guess i'll just go ahead and pull it out

just a bit of fyi.. if a bearing is bad you will see a drastic change in oil pressure usually it goes to 0 :eek:...so i recommend taking your belt off the car and grabing the balancer and checking that for sure.. then have a look at things like exhaust leak and vlve train. if its coming from the bottom end and only at low rpms it could possibly be the crank or a rod tapping on something and you would find some metal in the pan.. but the metal will not be from bearings unless you have no oil presure then its obvious why you have a knock.take the balancer off and look at the woodruff key and the slot in the balancer you may c your problem and its easier than taking the motor out

Get the engine to the RPM range where the knock is present, and pull one plug wire at a time and see if the noise changes or goes away.

If so, probably a rod bearing.:confused:

I agree! I did not read past this post so I hope you got it!
Also, pulling an injector wire may be easier?

guys really think about the last time you spun a rod or main bearing... the oil pressure will go way down usually to 0.. if you have good oil pressure its probably not a bearing and a bearing will make noise no matter what rpm.. check the balancer remove the belt and wiggle the balancer.. also check your intercooler and make sure its not rattling around. take a screw driver and pry on the balancer its probably loose.

guys really think about the last time you spun a rod or main bearing... the oil pressure will go way down usually to 0.. if you have good oil pressure its probably not a bearing and a bearing will make noise no matter what rpm..

I have to disagree with this. Spinning a rod bearing initially won't really effect oil pressure at all. In fact, since it blocks the passage pressure might initially go up. If you run it for a while pressure will go down as the bearing material wears but not necessarily to zero because one oil passage won't flow enough oil to do that. Also, just because a bearing is bad doesn't mean it's spun, it might just be worn. As for main bearings they don't have to be noisy. A bad main can sound like a light tap when you get to that point at low rpm's when there's no accel/decel load on the motor.

ive got a tapping that i thought was gonna be the rocker shaft/arms broke or loose bolts .but it is not any of that and it seems that the lobe on the cam may have worn down.anyone had any thing like this problem with stock style cams?

I disagree, rod bearings or mains that have been slightly damaged to increase the clearance enough to knock may not affect oil pressure that much. These engines do not see high oil pressure so it can easily go un noticed.

Before you pull the engine here is what I would do.

First remove the accessorie belt and push and pull on the crank. If you can feel moevment it is too much

Next you can easily drop the oil pan without removing the engine.

Drop the pan and see what is in there, then you can check each rod and even pull a cap if need be to check mains

Let us know what you find

sorry guys for the late response,been on vacation with the family. i'm gonna check the balancer,i have another one i can swap out. if that doesn't do anything i'll probably pull the oil pan

Back