Lower intakes

xtreme6mwm

Does anyone know of anybody that makes a good intake ,or reworks the stock ones?
Mike
New best- 11.27@119

Originally posted by xtreme6mwm
Does anyone know of anybody that makes a good intake ,or reworks the stock ones?

Folks port the lowers, but the real problem is plenum volume, and that means LOTS of welding to cure. There are folks selling upper plenum housings to try and get around that, but there is no cure for the lack of volume other then increasing the volume.

Looking at some of the custom $$$$$ immediately demonstrates that.

Volume effects the Peak Manifold Pressures, now with that said, I'll leave ya to comtemplate things.
HTH.

Re: Re: Lower intakes

Originally posted by bruce
Folks port the lowers, but the real problem is plenum volume, and that means LOTS of welding to cure. There are folks selling upper plenum housings to try and get around that, but there is no cure for the lack of volume other then increasing the volume.
......Volume effects the Peak Manifold Pressures, now with that said, I'll leave ya to comtemplate things. HTH.

Well Bruce, you have confused me again? [And sometimes that does not take much:) ]

Are you saying there is no value in porting the lower intake to add about 25% more flow available? Or are you saying there is not enough volume for the added flow? How do we develop enough power to run low 10's with ported lower and stock upper with whatever the "real problem" may be?

If you know how we can do this easier, please let us know
:confused: , thanks.

To address the original post, we also port intakes.

Re: Re: Re: Lower intakes

Originally posted by Nick Micale
Well Bruce, you have confused me again? [And sometimes that does not take much:) ]

Are you saying there is no value in porting the lower intake to add about 25% more flow available? Or are you saying there is not enough volume for the added flow? How do we develop enough power to run low 10's with ported lower and stock upper with whatever the "real problem" may be?

If you know how we can do this easier, please let us know

I didn't say there was no value, in porting.
I just pointed out the inherit real issue is limited volume.

With no real porting, and by basically just adding volume I needed to add 8% more fuel at WOT to maintain the same AFR. 8% is a BUNCH of fuel.

You can run 9s all sorts of ways.
It's not a matter of can or can't, it's a matter of how hard you want to be on the parts, and how drivible you want the car.

Also, remember, just look at some of the custom intakes, and even the newest to just a couple years ago.

Or for a real thrill look at how clever the Import Cars are. ie the Lingenfelter Cavalier.

My parts are on the way for my Alien Upper, just wait'll see that one......

call Luallen cyclinder heads will port a stock lower for $100
Done sone flow bench work with his intakes provide a gain of approximatly 10 cfm per runner on a stock head. Pretty good investment I think His # is (812) 989-3849 He's in Indiana talk to Chris tell him damond told you to call.

lower intake

Mike, You can call Luallen Performance (812)989-3849 to get your intake ported. We did my intake,put it on the flow bench and picked up 15cfm per runner through a stock head.But that also includes a 62mm T/B plenum.If my memory serves me right the price is about $100-125 if you want the EGR welded up.