You can type here any text you want

LS1 Front Brake Swap - problem with leaking at caliper

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

Kinda annoyed right now... took less time to swap springs than it's taking me to install a new caliper.

So with the LS1 brake kit thanks to Rob in Texas, I recall being told to simply bolt the existing brake hose to the LS1 caliper, using the banjo bolt from the LS1 caliper. Simple enough, should take two seconds.

Brake fluid will NOT stop dripping from the connection point on the LS1 caliper. I have brass washers on both sides of the banjo fitting and the bolt was tight, even wrenched it tighter than I really wanted to on an aluminum caliper, just to see if the drip would stop.

So my car should be off the stands and back on the garage floor by now but I don't want my brake lines filling with air because this thing won't stop dripping. Threw the stock caliper back on the end of the line just to stop the drip for now.

Ideas?

Yep, I had to get new washers to seal mine also. You can use either aluminum or brass "crush" washers. Take one with you to the parts store and they should have some that will work.

Yep, I had to get new washers to seal mine also. You can use either aluminum or brass "crush" washers. Take one with you to the parts store and they should have some that will work.

Thanks for your input I remembered you had installed this conversion too. I'll take one of the old washers to the store tomorrow.

Anyone know exactly what size the washers need to be? Autozone didn't have individual washers to sell me but the Dorman "Help!" section had a package of assorted banjo washers, 4 sizes, 2 of each size. I think 2 of them fit but there's no way to tell which of the 4 sizes they are. And of course they only had one package hanging up, so right now I only have enough washers to do one caliper. Not to mention this package was four bucks. :rolleyes:

Since crush washers can't be reused it might be nice if they were included in this LS1 kit. ;)

Anyone know exactly what size the washers need to be? Autozone didn't have individual washers to sell me but the Dorman "Help!" section had a package of assorted banjo washers, 4 sizes, 2 of each size. I think 2 of them fit but there's no way to tell which of the 4 sizes they are. And of course they only had one package hanging up, so right now I only have enough washers to do one caliper. Not to mention this package was four bucks. :rolleyes:

Since crush washers can't be reused it might be nice if they were included in this LS1 kit. ;)

I have built & sold 15 of these kits, this is only the 2nd one that had trouble with the washers.:eek: I now include NEW washers in the kits. I will be glad to send you a set or refund your cost of the washers.:)

I have not noticed any leaking from mine. In all fairness, if there is a problem then why post it in a public forum where people might think the worst? Contact Robert directly and let him take care of it. My kit was top notch and I will consider getting another for my 78 Malibu.

Robert, will the LS1 kit clear 16" wheels?

I have built & sold 15 of these kits, this is only the 2nd one that had trouble with the washers.:eek: I now include NEW washers in the kits. I will be glad to send you a set or refund your cost of the washers.:)

Could you email or PM me some info on these kits?

Thanks,
Glen
dcving6@aol.com

Back