You can type here any text you want

M3 vs GN

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cleaner13

The Cleaner
ok I have a friend that met this kid with a 97 M3

the kid claims to have 510hp at the wheels and runs high 9's

what would it take an M3 to reach this level of performance and is it even possible
I do know that he has a supercharger but that is all I am aware of.

I want to race this kid as soon as I get my GN from my uncle and get it all together, but just wondering if this is another case of bull**** or not

Carl

510 rwhp and 9's? lol

Probably not. As it is, M3s make hp in the 300s and run 12s/13s. That kid must be a very good driver if he is telling the truth.

New-as in '02 I believe have 300+, older ones have quite a bit less. I wouldn't be worried about it unless he's modded the crap out of it. Even then, they are meant more for turning corners than 1/4 mile et's.
Go get him, just don't chase him into any corners...
Jon

h**p://www.angelfire.com/cantina/smg/charger2.jpg

Jon, have any pictures of your Charger? Here's mine...

The new M3's make 333hp and the older style make considerably less(I wanna say 240, but don't quote me). I highly doubt it makes that much hp. I had a friend with a 97 M3 with a Vortech blower, p+p heads and intake, cams and every bolt on you could think of. His car made 357 hp to the rear wheels and never saw the drag strip, only the road course.

Jacob

ONLYA6, you are right on with those stock #s. There are bolt on superchargers that take the E36 model 240hp motor to 346hp. The are, however, the anti-TR. They make more HP than torque, but M3's are made to stop and turn, not go straight. The stock '01+ (E46 model) M3's are doing about 4.7 0-60 and I believe around 13.3 1320's. IMHO, to take an M3 and make a drag car out of it is a damn shame. That's what GN's are for! ;)

The M3's seem nice, but 9's? I guess if you have enough money, but... I'd have to raise the BS flag. The only M3 I came across was on an on-ramp to a freeway. The ramp went for two lanes to one. I was on the outside and about even when I heard the BWM nail it. By the time we were on ont freeway I had pulled at at least 10 cars on him. Oh ya, I was on my way to the track. :D

M3 can conceivably make 500 hp, turbo and extensive work but it can be done with alot of $$$. What kind of funds does this guy have?

This kid would have to have pockets as deep as the ocean. 9s on a BMW motor would take a such a serious cash outlay, I'd have to say BS. Now a nitroused SBC with forged internals could be done for a reasonable amount. Better yet, a turbo V6 transplant would be the ticket.:D

guys I found out
he does have a turbo
no supercharger

it was my mistake I couldnt hear him correctly
but I dont know what kind he is my friend just said its a "huge" turbo

Carl

Let's play devil's adocate; suppose he does have 500 hp the question is the car set up for the strip or as a corner carver? To cover the qtr in the 9's that chassis better be setup for the strip only.

Originally posted by 68Mustang
h**p://www.angelfire.com/cantina/smg/charger2.jpg

Jon, have any pictures of your Charger? Here's mine...

Nice Charger! However, I'm more fond of the vintage mustangs. Is that a 68 mustang 2+2? I use to have a 69 Mach1 with a 351 Windsor until some punk without insurance rear ended me and messed up the frame. :(
I would like to own another one someday. All though the 68's are nice.

Dannyo

Seems to me with 510 HP, his race weight would have to be maybe 2700 lbs or less........... That would have be a gutted car. :confused:

BS! 535 rwhp& 2700lb race weight would do it in a car set up for the strip.
:rolleyes: How many BMW's are set up for the strip?!
Look how many supras with 600+ rwhp can't run 10's!
They are just not made for the strip.
9's... I don't think so!

yeah I am thinking its bull**** too
but everyone is making a big deal out of his car

I found out he has a 98 engine in it as well I forgot to mention that
but what kind of money/work would need to go into an M3 to get it at 510 at the wheels?

Carl

'97 M3 that runs 9's with 510rwhp........

Sounds like a big load of BS to me!!! Tell him your GN runs 6's and has 2000hp to the rear wheels;) LOL

M3 this!

That "9" is a 1/8 mi number!!.. He's on crack and thinks everyone else is as dumb as he is..:p :p

Nah, my Stang's just a coupe. I'm looking to buy a 67 or 68 390 GT Fastback... that would be sweet...

510 at the wheels in an M3 would mean that this guy either really knows what he's doing and has built it himself, or that he has the large amount of cash necessary to have someone do it for him. None of the standard bimmer tuners I know of offer anywhere near that power with any of their turbo/supercharger kits.

The M3 also can't run much in the way of a wide rear tire, so unless he's got some monster tubbed-out M3 I can't see it. I would imagine that this guy is on crack ;-)

None of the other driveline components are really available off the shelf to support that kind of abuse either (9's), the aftermarket for the M3 doesn't really have that type of stuff. Clutch, driveshafts, etc. They have nice stuff, but nothing aimed at some fool dropping the clutch on 600hp backed up with drag slicks...

Run him and find out. I would be shocked if he made 510 at the wheels, and 9's? Haha. A number of friends of mine are M3 guys (and I've run M3 racecars on road racing tracks). I can't see it.

It's like the guy who pulled up to me the other day and told me his 944 turbo had something for me, that it would do 200mph. At the time, I was sitting in a 928 that was radar'd at 210 at an open road race. I told him it would be a good race ;-) He didn't even know what was done to the motor, he was just told that it made that much power. Haha.

Back