You can type here any text you want

MAF Cleaning.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HighMileage

Albany,NY
Still trying to nail down this light throttle skip/surge/stumble. It even occurs at hiway speed.

I've got a factory MAF. It looks original. The screen has not layed down. There are no leaks in the intake hose. No vacuum leaks.

Q: Has anyone tried cleaning these MAF's? I'll bet it has never been touched in the car's 81,000mi.

There are some MAF cleaners... But I figured I'd ask here first.

Btw,my MAF number at idle (700rpm) is 5.4g/s.

When the skip/surge is going on,they are 13.3g/s at a constant 1,600rpm with BLM's 119 and steady.

Sounds like a lean-skip.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops. Stock with Powerlogger,orig ECM and chip.

Well, you have a 23 yr chip using 23 yr old technology........may try a new chip.
Your BLM's indicate that you are slightly rich at idle, may be a good idea to have your injectors cleaned.
I've used the MAF cleaner before without problems, but others may have a different opinion.

Use maf cleaner. dont use brake clean or carb clean. Most maf's have heated wire with a coating on it .harsh cleaners will remove the coating and skew the readings.

Bought a can of CRC MAF Cleaner today,removed the stock MAF and sprayed a 1/2 can thru it above a white paper towel. A little gray discoloration on the towel.

Throttle response seems to be a little better,but the light throttle skip/surge is still there.

Tried a different ECM. No change.
New Denso O2. No change.
New coil pack a while ago. The issue seemed to start after that,but the coils check ok.

No dead spots in TPS which is set at .40 at idle. Set it to .46. Problem remained. Tried .36. Same deal.

Looks like TT chip and injectors this winter. Hopefully that solves it.

Steve. '87 GN,t-tops. Stock,powerlogger. 81k.

denatured alcohol and a ziploc baggie large enough to hold the maf. put maf in bag add alcohol and slosh it around. remove and let air dry.

Back