MAF failure without codes

boostedmaxPSI

Hard Member
All,

I'm mearly posting this for people doing searches on MAFs in the future...

Yesterday I encountered a problem with my '87 GN, the car would idle ok but, had problems under a slight load. There were no codes given however my BLM's were extremely low around 116 and my INT were 128, my MAF reading was speratic from 7 to 255 with about a 3-5 second pause in between then it would jump from 7-255 again and again.

Having an extra MAF I was able to replace the unit with a known good one and the problem was solved. Not sure why the MAF went bad in the first place. This happened during normal driving conditions.

Again this was without a trouble code given. I hope this helps someone having a surging problem under light load in the futrue.

Having same problem. After car wash. Went 5 mi.. and it started crapping out. Will fire off but any gas then dumps. Have another MAF to change out tomorrow. Thanks for ur post.

Holy dug up from the dead. That post is 15 years old!

Having same problem. After car wash. Went 5 mi.. and it started crapping out. Will fire off but any gas then dumps. Have another MAF to change out tomorrow. Thanks for ur post.
Changed MAF (reman Cardon) still same problem Plugin is in front of maf, old one is up to maf. Still same problem. Changed out TPS, IAC & Coolant sensor. Ck'd IAC with gauge 1 1/8" correct voltage to all. Do not have scan tool. Just dig. volt meter. No one in my area is much help.

Did you wash the engine? It starts up every time that you crank it? TPS set correctly? I sheared the roll pin on my throttle once and wasn't getting a TPS signal. Hopefully this link can give you a hand as well.
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/index.html

Keep feeding us your issues and the troubleshooting steps that you have taken. Some people live for trivia. By the way what year are you working with?

PS make sure you are using the correct MAF. If you are getting them from a local auto parts store good luck, try to buy a good used NOS replacement from a board member upgrading if you can to have as a spare.

If the engine didn't get wet then maybe the ecm did. If you pull the panel you can check for moisture in the area.

Changed MAF (reman Cardon) still same problem Plugin is in front of maf, old one is up to maf. Still same problem. Changed out TPS, IAC & Coolant sensor. Ck'd IAC with gauge 1 1/8" correct voltage to all. Do not have scan tool. Just dig. volt meter. No one in my area is much help.

Start your car, let it idle. Tap the MAF sensor/housing with something hard like the round edge of a screwdriver. If you notice ANY difference in idle when you tap it the MAF is still no good. The rebuilds are hit and miss. I had 2 OEM MAF's go on me. 1 coded, 1 didn't.
Also don't just buy parts to try to fix a problem that you don't know. Buy a Scanmaster. There are a lot of good guys and gals on this site that could help you. Husek, Bison and Pacecarta are 3 that quickly come to mind.
And lastly unless you have a concours GN (which you probably don't since you put a Cardone reman on) lose the OEM MAF and put a Translator on it. Between the Cardone MAF and sensors you could

Did you wash the engine? It starts up every time that you crank it? TPS set correctly? I sheared the roll pin on my throttle once and wasn't getting a TPS signal. Hopefully this link can give you a hand as well.
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/index.html

Keep feeding us your issues and the troubleshooting steps that you have taken. Some people live for trivia. By the way what year are you working with?
Did not wash engine. Dirty air cleaner, dirty MAF Hose to turbo old and cracked. All my problem. Dirty dusty Mo. highways.