MAF Reset problem

Sweet6

My car is suffering from the MAF reset syndrome at 21lbs. What should I do? LS1MAF and translator or have chip adjusted? Or???? I do not plan on making any changes to my combo.
Thanks for the help

Your best bet would be to have your chip set up for forced lock of the MAF at WOT. I'm not sure how many chip guys actually do this. I do it and Bob Bailey does it and I think Steve Yaklin does it, I'm not sure about anyone else.

Jay,
What do you charge for a new chip? I have some DS files that I could send you too. Do you think I should do a new chip or modify the one I have?
Thanks

Modifying what you have could be tricky if whoever did the chip originally has any added code patches. Could end up being more trouble than it's worth. If you would like to talk to me about a new chip, feel free to drop me an email at the address below.

Jay,
I sent you an e-mail to you e-mail address you listed above. I did not hear back from you yet. Our e-mail has been having some problems. So you might have replied and I did not get it. Let me know what you need from me to get a chip done.
Thanks

may i but in ?

i think i have that problem also but im scanning with a nap-on scanner and its too slow to catch it.

when i go into boost and it starts pulling good it almost acts as it misses once i get alil knock then its clear from then on.

does that sound like it could be it i can see it on my rich lean gauge drop to lean for just a split second...it has a j/l chip in it and it seems to do it on the street chip and the race chip.

other than that car runs real good.

thank..RED

That sounds like the same problem. But can't say for sure without a Direct Scan. Unless there is something else out there that could see the MAF resetting. I also have a JL chip. I am not sure if Joe hardcodes the MAF lock or not. I tried getting a hold of Joe but have not heard back from him yet. I think it would be worth your while to investigate the MAF drop out. Good Luck

MAF Dropout.

The problem is easily seen on DS.

Running with the cam sensor unplugged improves things somewhat,
so you can try this and see.

The Translators have a limiter function that eliminates this problem
as well as the Extender chips are designed to prevent it.

Regards,

T.Bob

Bob,
If I went the translator route, what parts do you recommend I get?
Thanks

Stuff

Just get a standard MAF translator (GN version) from Ramchargers or your favorite vendor.

I prefer the 3.5" LS1 MAF (junkyard, Ramchargers, friendly dealer)

3.5" or 4" K&N, Ramchargers / summit / everywhere.

Coupling hose, ("Fernco" from Home Depot) or Ramchargers.

This assumes that you run a MAF pipe and open filter....

Everything installs in a few minutes, set the switches inside the translator and go....

Be prepared for better spoolup and a couple more lbs of boost.... :)

This setup is compatible with all chips, no special chips required.

T.Bob

What about the Tranlator plus and extender chip? Do I need all that stuff/worth it? The only issue I think I have is the MAF drop out.

More stuff

The Translator Plus (T+) is the same thing with an added feature to
adjust your spark advance by turning a knob inside the translator box.

The extender chip is not necessary for everyone, it is my latest technology
chip that can read airflow beyond the 255 limit. Using an extender
controls WOT fuel better than a standard chip especially on the faster cars.
It also has many features built in for control of open/closed loop, a launch-spool
feature, shift light, anti-theft **WITH VALET MODE**, high-speed datastreams for
Scanmaster, MAF anti-dropout, BLM lock........

Using an Extender lets you control your fuel delivery by adjusting the knobs inside
the translator box instead of cranking your fuel pressure around..... Works very well.

But the translator is designed so you can run it with 'regular' chips also.

You can always upgrade to an Extender later.

BTW, what are the details of your setup??

T.Bob

Here is what I have
Stock Long block
MSD 50s
Walboro 307
PTE T63E Turbo
3 inch DP with external gate, test pipe, ATR duals
PTE Front Mount
62 MM TB
3300 stall Vigilante 7 disc lock up.
I can't run over 21lbs because of the MAF drop outs.
Is the extender set up similar to the Max Effort?

Extender stuff

Well,.................no.

The MaxE is a thumbwheel chip that is open loop at all times. You can adjust fuel
delivery with it by changing the 'wheel' setting. It has a lot of wiz-bang features
to let you tune it in (you have to since it can't learn) Steve Y is a good guy and his
product is excellent, although I have never used one. The "MaxE" is intended more for
track-time than street-time although many people use it on the street.

The MaxE does not read airflow beyond the 255 limit.

The Extender is a single chip. It's fancy features are manipulated by storing
trouble codes in the ECM memory. It is normally closed loop by default but
the user can change that by storing codes. The extender measures all the air
entering the engine so it can calculate the correct ammount of fuel to inject.
By adjusting the knobs in the translator you can adjust the fuel delivery up
down quite a bit. The extender is intended primarily at fast daily drivers and I have
spend a lot of time on the driveability stuff. The extender would work extremely well
with your combo.

TurboBob

:cool:

Bob,
Do I need the translator+ then? Or can I get by with just the translator, extender, and LSI MAF sensor? Is the only advantage of the translator+ timing adjustability?

Translator or T+ ?

The Translator is all you need. Just order the chip programmed for your
octane.

The only difference between the Trans and T+ is the timing control.

TB

Sweet6,

If you're gonna do it, go all the way and get the T+. The timing adjustments are an added bonus that I use all of the time and am glad that i got it. Go with the Extender as well. You won't regret it. :D