You can type here any text you want

Main bearing placement

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pablo

Dumb question here, One of my upper main bearing halves has a shorter oil groove in it than the rest. Where does this one go? Front?

bearings.jpg

I've always wondered what the reason is for the shorter groove , and what effect it has . anyone know ? :) Is it to reduce oil to the "parting line" of the rear seal ?

I've seen this on clevite,the sealed power(federal mogul) do not have this shortened groove.

It's supposed to retain a little oil, there's a paper on it somewhere I read a few decades ago when I was wondering the same thing. When engines didn't have oil pumps, the less than complete grove introduced an effort to retain oil, then someone came up with a pump (most engines still didn't have a filter until the mid 50's).
The first place I ever saw this was a 38' Hornet (one of dad's beach cars). Seems Mr. Winfield was the one that made the suggestion FWIW.

It's supposed to retain a little oil, there's a paper on it somewhere I read a few decades ago when I was wondering the same thing. When engines didn't have oil pumps, the less than complete grove introduced an effort to retain oil, then someone came up with a pump (most engines still didn't have a filter until the mid 50's).
The first place I ever saw this was a 38' Hornet (one of dad's beach cars). Seems Mr. Winfield was the one that made the suggestion FWIW.

yeah.... but why the shorter groove on the rear ? :)

Main Bearing

More bearing area, stronger bearing able to withstand the forces of the flywheel and torque converter. Simple, right?

bob aka stgman

Back