You can type here any text you want

Manual steering box pitman arm

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
I switched my stock steering box for an s-10 manual box recently and without thinking I sold my stock steering box with the pitman arm still attached. I did some searching here and found no definitive answer on whether or not the s-10 pitman arm was ok. I posted a want to buy add for a stock G-body pitman arm and got some PM's telling me to use the s-10 piece. I finally got the g-body pitman arm back from the person I sold it to and after comparing the two, the are different.

The G-body pitman arm is about 1/4" longer. see below. Yes, the s-10 pitman arm will work and the car will steer with it on there, but the steering geometry will be wrong. Hopefully this will help someone else searching for the same info in the future.

S-10 arm on top and the orignal pitman arm from my TR on the bottom.
IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

as long as the drop is the same, the S10 arm shouldwork. the only difference will be that the steering will be a little slower- and thus easier- with the slightly shorter steering arm.
if the steering is a little wonky, then maybe you can use the S10 idler arm that should be the same length as the Pitman arm.

Hey Mike do you know about what the drop is on the stock G-body arm? Also on the connection to the steering linkage, is that a 7 degree tapper? I know its an old thread, but Im looking to do this. Thank you

I don't know any of that info. I have a g-body and an s-10 pitman arm laying in my spare parts pile at home that I could measure. But if your just looking to put an early 90's s-10 box in your car either pitman arm will work. The G-body is more correct, but they both bolt up to everything fine.

Since making this thread, I sold the car I put this on and bought another one. I also put an s-10 box in it, but I found one of the early 80's "3 bolt" style boxes (it's lighter than the 4 bolt). It uses a different spline for the pitman arm and I was forced to use the S-10 pitman that came on it.

You can see the "3 bolt" s-10 steering box in this picture. For this one, you can only use the s-10 arm. See 3 bolts holding top plate down.
CIMG1403_zps06b8aef3.jpg

This is the "4 bolt" style and you can use either the s-10 or g-body pitman arm on it. See 4 bolts holding the top plate down.
CIMG1167.jpg

Yea I see those differences. I am wanting to use the Vega box setup. But Flaming river has went absolutely crazy with price. The pitman arm alone is $310. The Vega box setup with a good telescopic arm and all would be a $1000. I'm looking the world over trying to find a alternative pitman arm. I think I found one at Pete&Jakes Hot Rod shop for 150. But Im trying to match up all the dimensions.

The 16:1 ration box is now $500 but I can still get the 20:1 box for around 350

I can post up all part numbers for the flaming river setup, but I it is not even feasible unless you have a 1000 to throw at it :mad:

Hey Turbo Nasty, Sorry missed ya call yesterday.

This manual steering stuff is crazy. The pitman arm is the hardest to match up. Basically here is the thing.

pitman arm - Flaming river part# FR1009532 = $310
Vega box - Flaming river FR1500 / FR1500Q = $350/ 450
Telescopic Arm - FR1856 - $120
U-joint to Steering column - FR1717 - $75
U-joint to Vega box - FR1735 - $75

Grand total = $930,,, SO
I'm searching for cheaper alternatives.

I think I found a pitman arm that will work. I am trying to get info on the pitman arm that will work. Right now the FR arm is 6"long/1.5"drop/no offset. the whole that connects to the box is I think either a 1"/32spline or a 5/8" 36 spline??????????. Also the small hole that connects to the steering linkage is a non-wear type. But I do not know the tapper. I think 7degrees is the standard.
I am now looking at older S10 boxes. The earlier 80s models are the lightest, but not sure what turn ratio they have or the pitman arm dimensions.

Thats quite the can o worms.
Post it up when you find it. Wish the manual racks didnt have such poor steering wheel turn ratios.
I bet a power steering rack (style like TRZ which is probably a older mustang II style) would be lighter than.
Our Power steering box, tie rods, centerlink weight wise...HMMM?

Might be, I havnt looked into the anything other than manual steering box swaps. I do not want to cut my frame or anything. The vega style takes I've heard about 30lbs off. It has a turn ratio of 20:1

OK so I have put in a price challenge with Summit for Flaming river has the pitman arm for $200. Waiting on Summit to call me back;)

Also, Here is another setup that is prob the best I've found. It uses a 525 manual box which is the big brother of the Vega 140 box. It weighs 5 more lbs, but is designed for cars that weigh over 2600lbs.

Borgeson Maunfacture on all items below

525 manual box 16:1 quick turn ration - PN 920028, Specs = 16.75lbs, 3/4" 36 spline input shaft, 1 1/8" 32 spline output shaft = $490. The standard 525 box is 24:1 ratio, but is $100 bucks or more cheaper.
Telescopic shaft 26" long, 1" DD to 3/4" DD (place the big end to the steering column out of firewall) PN 450024 = $75
Ujoint - steering column to telescopic shaft PN 015252 = $75
Ujoint - telescopic shaft to manual box input PN 013449 = $75
Best of all they have a pitman arm that is designed for the conversion.
Pitman - 6.25" center to center, 1.5" drop, no offset PN 806019 = $85

Grand total for 525 box setup is $800. Which is about what I am bracing to spend.

I really would like a 525 box that has the 20:1 turn ratio. It just takes a little less force to turn :p

Flaming river is claiming 20:1 on their website, but the rep isn't sure he is suppose to be looking into it. price = $269

s10 arm

i used the s10 box and arm works fine done switch about 2 months ago.mike

What is your take on this setup over stock? How easy is it to turn the wheel? Lastly, do you still have the same turning radius? I am contemplating what i should do with my setup because the steering box in my car is shot and got too much slop in the wheel even with the Jeep shaft in there. Do I rebuild it, or get rid of that system all entirely is where I am at.

Hey Mike, I am in the middle of deciding this and I am trying to post as much info to others so they don't have to look up all the part numbers, etc.

My steering is fine, I just want to shed some weight up front.

The flaming river website has the wrong turn ratio of 20:1 on there box. It is really a 24:1. It takes more than 5 turns lock to lock

Back