Map Sensor 2 / MAF Sensor 0

typhoon

Having only been playing in the buick world for a little while now I have discovered one thing. MAF sensor bite the big one.

I am going to have fun in the near future with a sledge hammer, plasma cutter, anything to vent my flusteration on them. They just plain suck (pun intented).

So to the rescue "Grumpy" + 7749 ECM

After 6 chip burns the car now idles better than it ever wanted to stock, around town is night and day.

Still got some boost fueling to dial in, but with the minimal work in the system I can be certain MAF sensor and myself will never get along.

Anybody fighting the MAF, tuning, etc. should consider seriously chaning out ECM's. No extra expense of translator's, annual MAF replacements, questionable MAF's, etc etc.

Anybody want to help me destroy POS MAF sensors?

so what exactly is a 7749 ECM does that delet the MAF, just wondering it might have to be an upgrade for me.

Originally posted by Daniel Jost
so what exactly is a 7749 ECM does that delet the MAF, just wondering it might have to be an upgrade for me.

It converts the system over to being a MAP system, like the aftermarket ecms.
It's adavantages are:
It has a much faster ALDL rate then the GN ecm.
2x as fast processor in the ecm.
It's newer code.
There's Source Code Available for it for the guys that want to rewrite the actual code end of it.
There is a patch out for datalogging a WB thur the ecm.
As mentioned does away with the MAF completely.
There is a 3 bar patch available.
With the advent of the high impedance 60 PPH injectors, there's lots of performance available.
While it's *just* a batch fire ecm, there's plenty of control to get the 60 PPH injectors to idle just fine.
If you do break it, it's $50 compared to $$ and waiting for some repair station to get it back to you.

Down side is making the adapter harness, and until more people play with it, there'll be a leaning curve involved. Just think of it as an aftermarket ecm, but much better. :)

I have to thank bruce again. Went out just a few minutes ago after car sat all night. Thing starts up instantly.

Before it would crank for 3-4 seconds, felt like forever.

Now it is instant start, glass smooth idle.

Trust me anybody that doesn't do this mod, is missing the boat.

Thanks again Bruce, i am sure the all day entertainment from Mike and I was more than you could handle.

I don't care what your neighbor who loaned up the floor jack said when you were not around, your a man of scholar.

i know how the long cranking is how much is something like this and where do you find it, also do you have some pics of the wireing harness that you had to make.

Thanks, Dan

Total mod swap is about $100.

You can do it cheaper depending on how much you want to look around.

You will want some chip burning tools, as being one of the first there is not any off the shelf chips yet. As more people do the mod I am sure this will change.

I will try to snap some pics, although bruce's harness looks better.

Did 1 chip tonight.

Car now idles at 800 rpm smoooooooooooth.

Wanted to run in to house and get a wine glass.

Got the idle o2 more in line also, ever tweak helps.

Boost tuning is starting to come around. Did a mild boost brake tonight at 6psi rear tires were no longer standing still. Was easy actually. Stock ecm had to work at 10psi.

Still a TON of improvement left. Can't wait to get some #'s at the dyno in next month or so.

how much is this whole setup said and done, also i need someone to help me out with the wireing harnest because i dont know much about that stuff.

Like i said, the mod can be done for ~$100 if you do some searching, stop buy junkyard, etc.

The downside to the whole thing is the need to build your own harness. Nothing like buying a soldering iron and learning how, Bruce and I will be glad to help, answer questions. I don't think neither of us want to just do it for you though.

Gotta push yourself to the next level. Is a inititiation of sorts.

Did I ever mention how much I hate MAF sensors?
Did I mention the other day I accidently knocked vacuum line off map sensor, and car still idled fine? Try that with a MAF sensor.

How about rock steady idle.

I don't think I could bring myself to swap back to MAF sensor for anything.

Let me chime in here....

the new ecm is super smooth, and tuneable, the car improves vastly with each chip re-write, and speaking as someone who isn't exactly a tuning guru, I would call the actual tuning a difficulty rating of 5 out of 10.

Let me thank Bruce as well, I learned more about tuning in the few hours behind the wheel with him than in the last year I have been researching this thing for myself.

Having been in te Buick world for a few years, I have seen whats available for tuning these cars, and feel there is much more out there, and for less $$ when it comes to the 7749 ecm.

I will be running a twin turbo setup for my buick, and now instead of $2500 for fast, I'll be doing $100, and some soldering

I'm interested.....but still ignorant. A few things are needed before I can do this.

1. What vehicles did the 7749 come in originally, so I can go find one? Junkyards around here are clueless with part #'s they want to know what vehicle.

2. Why is the idle going to improve with a MAP system? What mixture are you using at idle?

3. Will it work with my existing Scanmaster?

4. Can I make a true adapter harness without hacking my car? Where can I get the mating connector for the car but not connected to an ECM? Do I break a 148 ECM apart?

5. Is the cam sensor now ignored since its batch fire? Do I lose mileage or emissions running batch?

6. Is there a pinout diagram available so I can make my own harness?

Sorry for all the questions but I think people won't start trying to convert unless they know these things. If this really works well we should do what we can to make it popular and easy to do.

Originally posted by BJM
I'm interested.....but still ignorant. A few things are needed before I can do this.

1. What vehicles did the 7749 come in originally, so I can go find one? Junkyards around here are clueless with part #'s they want to know what vehicle.

Syclone/Typhoon and turbo sunbird. Actuall part # is 1227749, must make sure the ecm has that on it. You need a memcal from a syty also.

2. Why is the idle going to improve with a MAP system? What mixture are you using at idle?

I am not deep enough into why here, as I don't claim to be an electronics expert. Could be the tune. What I do like is there is no longer a restriction due to the MAF sensor nor do I need to worry about the fragile expensive sensor. No need for ls1 maf with translator +, worring about maxing sensor, etc.

3. Will it work with my existing Scanmaster?
Not yet. They syty community has requested the scanmaster be adapted to 749 ecm (requires diff. code) but have not yet been given one. Maybe someday.

4. Can I make a true adapter harness without hacking my car? Where can I get the mating connector for the car but not connected to an ECM? Do I break a 148 ECM apart?

Caspers sells the header connector you need. You will need to get the plugs from junkyard sunbird, syty, or camaro (had same header plug, but diff ecm). Dealer has them also for cheap if you can find a guy willing to search for #'s.

5. Is the cam sensor now ignored since its batch fire? Do I lose mileage or emissions running batch?

Cam is ignored by ecm, but not by the spark. Mileage and emmisions should not be affected with the right tune.

6. Is there a pinout diagram available so I can make my own harness?

Bruce has the latest revision, we had to make some adjustments when I was there. Hopefully he will post it.

Sorry for all the questions but I think people won't start trying to convert unless they know these things. If this really works well we should do what we can to make it popular and easy to do.

I fully understand here, and can see the fear moving to it. If anybody around Louisville area wants to ride in my car, see it in action let me know.

i didnt mean that i wanted to have someone make it for me i have known how to solder and have been for a long time. what i need to know about is what connections do i need to make i need a diagram of some sort to show me the connections.

after i would make this harness it would plug from the 7749 ecm right into my 85 GN wiring harness?

Also what is this about burning new chips i dont have the equipment nor do i have the access to the equipment to burn chips.

if anyone has the diagram send it to me at dan@wastedincome.com

Jeff has the cheat sheet (pin locations) for the jumper somewhere on his desk, so when he gets back, I'm sure he'll scan it and send it out to you.

Once the jumper is done, you'll need a new map sensor to replace the maf, a man. air temp. sensor. Then with a chip its plug and play.

Also what is this about burning new chips i dont have the equipment nor do i have the access to the equipment to burn chips

We can give you a bin file...the one that worked best for us. You will need to get some programming equipment, or hook up with someone who does. The abilty to burn your own chips custom to your car is the single most crucial step in performance!!!!!!!!! If this is not something you are interested in/willing to do, this is not the mod for you.

i know a guy who can get the equipment to burn it but in need the files and the program to be able to burn the chips.

When I get back I will post my cheat sheet and the bin file I have now and update it as I get the tune dialed in.

I am 2600 miles away from home now, so can't get to that information right now.

Yes, the 749 will plug directly into your wiring when you make up the jumper.

Another option would be the prominator, to eliminate burning chips, etc. I saw it at Bruce's and it worked well. Can give you up to 8 chips to burn also, valet, street, race, etc.

www.prominator.com

Jeff

Yes, didn't update thread as interest seemed to die. I assume due to lack of understanding of the advantages.

email me @ ty1295@gmail.com and I can send you some information.

Still a TON of improvement left. Can't wait to get some #'s at the dyno in next month or so.

Typhoon,

Just wondering if you made it to the dyno yet! I'm interested in the performance of this ECM and its drivability on the street.:) :) :)