You can type here any text you want

Maryland emissions

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

smithgn

Anyone know if MD has a visual inspection ? I dont have a cat and its coming up this year for a check. Last time I went I dont recall them looking for anything, and from the looks of the people working there I dont think they would have noticed anyway. ;) I have my old DP and converyer but dont really feel like doing the sawp for a 10 minute test

Thanks

If you live in an area of Maryland that used dynos for emissions test, I suspect that the inspector may not need to check a cat, since the emissions test is IM240. You may won't pass without one. If a visual is required, then someone paying attention will fail your vehicle on visual.

I'm in PG county (Laurel) where we have the IM240 dyno test, and most of the time an inspector goes around my vehicle with a mirror looking at the cat and exhaust system, after the gas cap check and before the dyno. They never pop the hood, though.

Thanks Carl for calrifying that for us. Since I don't live in the state, sometimes I have to assume what happens in other states regarding their emissions inspections.

You're welcome, Joe. I won't swear that they never forget, but I'm sure they remember most of the time. I tried twice to pass with a "lightened" cat, once for fun and once because I didn't have time to get the good cat on and the fine for not getting tested was more than the $10 to retest later with the cat (:-)), and failed the HC but I think I passed the CO and NOx. I have a working EGR system, and I think the HC was something like 4 on a limit of 1.8. With the cat I've fast passed three times straight now.

Back