Max Clearence

BuickED

Whats the max clearences for our engines when installing new rod and main bearings?

Any builder Ive spoke with has told me .002 is the max. for mains and rods. My engine the rods were set at .0017 and the mains .0015. Oil press. is 25psi hot idle and 70psi WOT with 10w-30.

Imo

For an eng. that will see any street duty---Max. .0015 on rods and mains. Now good luck finding some that will agree with that or better yet can do it and do it right.

Whats the max clearences for our engines when installing new rod and main bearings?

Your question will not get you a useful answer as you have already seen. It is a general question and does not define your specific needs.:confused:

Not only do you need to closely define how it will be used, the specific parts will also help define the exact engine build down to even the type of bearings used.

The machine shop that you use should have enough knowledge and experience to do all this for you.:)

The last revision on the factory specifications was back near the end of 1990 I believe. It set rod and mains the same @ min. .0008 and max .0022. I tend to agree with that as it pertains to all but a full race application. The thing I believe to be very important is to make sure the variance between all the rods, and or all the mains remains within .0001/.0002 in. That can be a very time consuming job if you don't have alot of sizes to choose from by the bearing manufacturer. Most serious engine builders will have a specific spec that they feel comfortable with for each application.
Danny