You can type here any text you want

max hp for stock blocked turbo 231?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sean Buick 76

Buick nut to the bone
I'm curious how much power people are running with a 231 before the blocks are cracking.

What about the stock bottom end? What are the limits on that?

I know there is no set answer, just looking for an idea of what these motors can handle. I can't aford the TA block yet....

There are a couple guys in TSM running well into the 9s with stock blocks. One guy running low 9s.

As far as a stock bottom end (crank, rods, caps, etc.) I've seen cars running in the mid 10s, but if you detonate em at that hp level, you could break the caps and crank :eek:

HTH

86brick can chime in here but i think orlando has ran in the high 9's with a totally stock bottom end, even stock pistons.

Orlando ran 10.0's @133-134mph (enough MPH for 9's) for several years on a stock bottom end before putting some Wiseco forged pistons in it... He has since run 9.96 @137mph with his car that still has a stock crank, stock rods w/ stock rod bolts, and even stock main caps (no girdle).. Few weeks ago he ran 6.22 in the 1/8th so that should put him in the 9.80's..

3 guys have been low 9's on a 109 to my knowledge..

Dave Bamford/DLS engine development- 9.23@147mph
Roy Garcia/Laz Racing-9.35@146.89mph
Tony Occhipinti/ANS-9.3x@144mph

Keep in mind these cars are not light by any means (3400-3550lbs)......

Thats outstanding! So what does that work out to in HP? I'm guessing my 4,000 pound car could go 12.99 (my goal) at sea level with 450 hp and proper setup with sticky 10" tires.

Every 100 pounds is suppost to be worth roughly .5 in the quarter so I guess I should shave a hundred pounds or more to help my cause!

Anyone know a good calculator?

Thanks for the input guys, keep it up!!!

For the record i ran 134mph+ 2 years ago on a bone stock bottom end.
I think i have made more mph then anyone with the bone stock bottom end including bolts/crank/pistons/rods/rings/bearings etc.
Thought i would add that i did this full weight (-ac) with 3.70 gears and a non lock up converter/iron heads.

sean Buick 76 said:
Thats outstanding! So what does that work out to in HP? I'm guessing my 4,000 pound car could go 12.99 (my goal) at sea level with 450 hp and proper setup with sticky 10" tires.

Every 100 pounds is suppost to be worth roughly .5 in the quarter so I guess I should shave a hundred pounds or more to help my cause!

Anyone know a good calculator?

Thanks for the input guys, keep it up!!!
850hp. A 4000lb car needs 350hp to run 12.99@103mph. That would be with a 1.65 60 ft. Your goal is an easy one and you wont need much to hit it. With a pair of slicks and about an hour of wrenching i could get a TR in the 12's for nearly no cash outlay other than the tires and a little high octane fuel.

86brick said:
3 guys have been low 9's on a 109 to my knowledge..

Dave Bamford/DLS engine development- 9.23@147mph
Roy Garcia/Laz Racing-9.35@146.89mph
Tony Occhipinti/ANS-9.3x@144mph

Keep in mind these cars are not light by any means (3400-3550lbs)......
Tony actually turned in some 9.20's the night before TSM qualifying at Norwalk in 2005. His car was not weighed that night so the runs are worthless as far as "legal-TSM runs" are concerned.

Dave and Tony both have/had stroker cranks. Roy claims his is motor has a stock stroke. I doubt if any of them were running stock size (3.800) pistons.

Another racer, D ick Kearney from Pheonix, ran a stock stroke, +.010 piston motor to a 9.6 second pass with only 5 spark plugs for the last 1/8 mile! :eek:

All four of these motors are are making in excess of 600HP at the wheels. Only Tony's block ever split in two... :wink:

Then there is this guy in Texas that goes by "disco stu" that's been 9.68 with a girdled stock stroke 109 motor.

GN's don't weigh 4000lbs unless there are two of you around 250 each that are going to run down the 1/4 mile.

100lb weight loss should net you around a 1/10th.

i think it's actually more like every 100 lbs, is .1 in the 1/4. I've NEVER heard .5 in the 1/4 (must have heard that from some ricer) :tongue:

-Adam

Scott231 said:
Tony actually turned in some 9.20's the night before TSM qualifying at Norwalk in 2005. His car was not weighed that night so the runs are worthless as far as "legal-TSM runs" are concerned.

Dave and Tony both have/had stroker cranks. Roy claims his is motor has a stock stroke. I doubt if any of them were running stock size (3.800) pistons.

Another racer, D ick Kearney from Pheonix, ran a stock stroke, +.010 piston motor to a 9.6 second pass with only 5 spark plugs for the last 1/8 mile! :eek:

All four of these motors are are making in excess of 600HP at the wheels. Only Tony's block ever split in two... :wink:

Then there is this guy in Texas that goes by "disco stu" that's been 9.68 with a girdled stock stroke 109 motor.

I thought you had posted before in the old TSM section on here (before it disappeared) that Tony had run some 9.20's in testing but I wasn't sure and I knew for a fact he had run a 9.30... Roy's motor is a stock stroke (234ci)motor with the stock crank although some seem to find that hard to believe..

Kerney's car sounds like it should be very impressive with all 6 plugs!!! :eek:

Picture008.jpg
1BURN.jpg

My car is a 76 4dr Century so it used to weigh more than 4000 pounds, I put it on a diet but it's still HEAVY.

Anyway, I like it and I'm not looking to break any records here. I just want to get in the 12's and still haull the groceries ect around town. I'm planning to put a turbo Buick V6 into my boat car!

proposed combo will be:

Mild V6 with stock turbo, single 3" exhaust
200 r4 with shift kit and upgrades
373 gears

What will I need to do to the motor to get 12's with this combo at sea level?

I'm glad the 100 pound = .5 is wrong cuz I figuered I needed 600 hp to get 12's!!!

Thanks for all the input everyone

that would be an awesome cruzer!

a long time ago i saw one of those large style cadys (maybe late 70s) at the nats with a buick turbo v6. it was awesome. If i remember it was white.

I also miss that truck with the super charger and the buick 455. and that white electra. those were cool to see.

Back