max psi w/ series 1

WI Probe

What is the max psi that can be made with the series 1 sc. I know that you can put on a smaller pulley, but what is the smallest? Can you do some porting? I am using the 94-95 model year.
I am putting this sc on a '95 Ford Probe GT. It will be mounted to a custom manifold that I have made up. I will also be using a water(maybe alcohol) injection setup along with this. What si the most I can EFFICIENTLY get out of it? I was told by someone that with a 2" pulley and lots of porting I should get in the range of 13-15. what do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions for my setup?

I have experience with a '92 3800 SC in a fiero with some mods. Here is what I know:

I talked with a tech rep from Eaton who designed the M62 which sits atop the series 1 3800's. He said that the smallest pulley that can be used on that unit is already there from the factory. He said that using a smaller pulley would exceed the max rated RPM of the M62 when used on the series 1 engine operating at it's factory redline resulting in catastrophic supercharger failure.

So in effect, he told me there is no way to "turn up the boost."

Again, this is not heresay, this was info straight from and Eaton Tech Rep.

With that being said, there are a few things you can do to improve the performance of the 3800 series 1 engines without touching the supercharger.

The 3800 I engine uses tubular exhaust manifolds that sport a rear dump to the cat-con. I have discovered that the opening from the exhaust manifold plenum to the dump flange is not optimal for flow and can easily be ported, even while still on the vehicle. This "opening up" of the exhaust system is worth at least a .1 sec gain and a few MPH in the 1/4 mile depending on the rest of the exhaust system.

Obviously other gains are to be had by installing a less restrictive exhaust and induction system which may include modification to the stock airbox should you choose to keep it. You cannot, however, remove the screen from the throttle body because it is required by the MAF sensor to operate properly. Increasing the fuel pressure will also help if these other mods are done helping the engine breathe a little easier. You can increase the fuel pressure by mashing in the top of the stock regulator using a small ball-peen hammer slightly. This will only work if you have the regulator that has no torx screw in the top of it and the vacuum line enters from the side. Care must be taken so you don't damage the fuel rails or "mash" the top in too much which will result in excessive fuel pressure. Compressing the top of the regulator roughly 1/16" of an inch yeilds approx a 2 lb gain in fuel pressure. Do this with a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and the fuel pump running so you can see the results of your modification as you perform it. Unfortuneately, this process cannot be undone without changing to a new or untouched regulator so use caution.

I've done a couple of things on my 92 SC. First, I'm running a 95 blower and TB with the 92 2.1" pulley. Stock 95 is 2.6".

I also made a 1.92" pulley so I could peak the boost at 4500 RPM. That was a bit much even when I backed the timing off. I have about 80k miles on my 95 blower with the 92 pulley at this point. I get about 12 PSI of boost. I am just starting to get some nose drive rattle when it's cold.

The 1.92" pulley is now on a friends 92SC in his X-11. We'll see how long it lasts. He can get 94 octane so he's not seeing much more than 3 degrees of retard. Still, it's his wallet on the line.

Best advance I can run is about 12 degrees on 91 octane gas. I tried some 94 when I was out of state and I could bring it up to about 14. The car is plenty fast on 91 octane.

Originally posted by SubZero350

I talked with a tech rep from Eaton who designed the M62 which sits atop the series 1 3800's. He said that the smallest pulley that can be used on that unit is already there from the factory. He said that using a smaller pulley would exceed the max rated RPM of the M62 when used on the series 1 engine operating at it's factory redline resulting in catastrophic supercharger failure.

So in effect, he told me there is no way to "turn up the boost."

They said the same thing about the M90, but there are tons of people running smaller pulleys on them. From 3.8" stock to 2.5". I'm not saying the engineer doesn't know what he's talking about, he's just covering his butt.

Keep in mind that your crank pulley may be of a different size as the 3800, so the ratio may be different. In addition the displacement of your engine and head flow will affect the boost. My guess is that the same ratio on your engine will give you more boost than a 3.8L engine. It seems about the right size, I'd start with the stock pulley, making sure that the ratio is the same as the 3800, then see if you can go smaller.

Sounds good. Thanks for the reply.

1 other question: Do any of you have experience with water injection on this sc?