You can type here any text you want

Maxing out stock MAF

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Black Power

I am maxing out my stock MAF with my PT51 @ 21 psi (no nitrous).

How does this affect fueling @ WOT. Do the injectors go into "holy crap batman, dump it all" mode or what? I am still getting a little knock @ full boost, even with my alky spraying. If I upgrade to an LT1 maf and translator will this fix it, or do I need an extender??? Very confused, sorry for the dumb question.

Will

edit: I was watching my scanmaster af count....if that helps. 255 is the limit I believe...

No your not My 1/8 mile time in my Sig is with the stock MAF.
How Old is the O2 sensor.

No your not My 1/8 mile time in my Sig is with the stock MAF.
How Old is the O2 sensor.

Not what? maxing out the maf? yes, probably long before hitting his 21# of boost with that turbo.
Is he running out of injector? No way of saying without scan tool data to monitor injector duty cycle. We know nothing of his setup and times other than the turbo.
Upgrading to an LT1 and Translator alone will not cure the 255 problem, but will allow it to be cured with an Extender chip install, and there'by adding FAR better WOT fuel control to the equation.

Not what? maxing out the maf? yes, probably long before hitting his 21# of boost with that turbo.
Is he running out of injector? No way of saying without scan tool data to monitor injector duty cycle. We know nothing of his setup and times other than the turbo.
Upgrading to an LT1 and Translator alone will not cure the 255 problem, but will allow it to be cured with an Extender chip install, and there'by adding FAR better WOT fuel control to the equation.

Sorry, What I meant was, No his MAF is not MAXED Out. So adding an Extender Chip will solve all of his problems :rolleyes: It might help but before making any accusations on what chip to run. Maybe it would be a good idea to learn a little more about this thing. I have run the stock MAF with a 70GTQ @ 28psi and it works just fine. I did put a LS1 on and saw no difference. :confused: I have a Turbo Tweak and it's set up for no screens in the MAF. Just my input.

VortechWS6

Do you have:

Any scantools?
What chip?
What type of pump are you running? Hot wired?
Do you have ported heads?
What size Inj are you running.
Whats your best 1/8 or 1/4 time?

Sorry, What I meant was, No his MAF is not MAXED Out. So adding an Extender Chip will solve all of his problems :rolleyes: It might help but before making any accusations on what chip to run. Maybe it would be a good idea to learn a little more about this thing. I have run the stock MAF with a 70GTQ @ 28psi and it works just fine. I did put a LS1 on and saw no difference. :confused: I have a Turbo Tweak and it's set up for no screens in the MAF. Just my input.

Easy there. I wasn't making any accusations on what chip to recommend. I make recomendations. Based on what a person is looking to do, the performance level they're looking to achieve etc. Neither do I make unrealistic recommendations based on what I might be able to achieve with my setup as compared to someone elses.

A good idea to learn a little more huh? I think I've been at this long enough to make a few recommendations based on what I've learned over the last 21 years of wrenching on my two GN's. :rolleyes: Yes, I can roll my eyes just as well as you can.

I'm sorry that you weren't able to make any improvements by moving up to an LS1 sensor, it certainly flows a ton more than a stock MAF, you're one of only a few people I know that haven't been able to gain by improving flow. And assuming you could have had a way to use it to it's full potential by properly metering all the flow you can make with your setup, it's even more puzzling.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue with you about what runs and what doesn't, you've got twice the motor and equipment I do anyway.

Just trying to pass on advice based on experiences.

Have a wonderful day. :)

A good idea to learn a little more huh? I think I've been at this long enough to make a few recommendations based on what I've learned over the last 21 years of wrenching on my two GN's. :rolleyes: Yes, I can roll my eyes just as well as you can.

I'm sorry that you weren't able to make any improvements by moving up to an LS1 sensor, it certainly flows a ton more than a stock MAF, you're one of only a few people I know that haven't been able to gain by improving flow. And assuming you could have had a way to use it to it's full potential by properly metering all the flow you can make with your setup, it's even more puzzling.

Anyway, I'm not here to argue with you about what runs and what doesn't, you've got twice the motor and equipment I do anyway.

Just trying to pass on advice based on experiences.

Have a wonderful day. :)

I'm not here to argue either Dave.

I wasn't saying you need to learn more about these cars, I meant learn more about VortechWS6's car.

On to my LS1 MAF experience. I'm confused too Dave. I don't get it. It just didn't do anything. :confused: Also my car doesn't like to be lean it loves to be fat. like at 800 on the MV's. This is a pic of the MAF set-up I run. Goes from a 4''-3'' cone reducer.

IMG_0507.jpg

MAF.jpg

I'm not here to argue either Dave.

I wasn't saying you need to learn more about these cars, I meant learn more about VortechWS6's car.

Fair enough, I misunderstood. :D

On to my LS1 MAF experience. I'm confused too Dave. I don't get it. It just didn't do anything. :confused: Also my car doesn't like to be lean it loves to be fat. like at 800 on the MV's. This is a pic of the MAF set-up I run. Goes from a 4''-3'' cone reducer.

It usually takes some tuning time, but let me ask this, when you switched over to the LS1 maf, were you running a chip that would allow it to read past 255? Believe it or not that makes a HUGE difference. It takes a huge "tuning load" off the operator, and puts it back in the hands of the ECM.

As for running "fat" it just goes to show how much different each setup is. Mine loves to run in the 760-770 range. Anything over 800 and it starts slowing down.

I attribute that to differences in O2 sensors though. Our two sensors could be reading that much different (your 800 against my 760) and the cars may actually be running very very close the the same A/F ratio. But it would require a WBO2 on both to tell.

Someday when I get rich and famous, I'm going to finally get a WBO2 on mine. I've got all the other goodies: Translator Pro, Extender Pro, PowerLogger, etc.
But it would be easier to let the WBO2 take care of everything instead of me having to mull over NBO2 readings and bounce those off VE table locations, etc. to get it all perfect.
Although the car's running "crazy good" now with everything right out of the box!

Fair enough, I misunderstood. :D

It usually takes some tuning time, but let me ask this, when you switched over to the LS1 maf, were you running a chip that would allow it to read past 255? Believe it or not that makes a HUGE difference. It takes a huge "tuning load" off the operator, and puts it back in the hands of the ECM.

Every time I change something I send the chip back to Eric. I told him that I would be running an LS1 Granatelli 1000cfm MAF he said ok. So I'm not sure Dave I hope he did it:confused:

As for running "fat" it just goes to show how much different each setup is. Mine loves to run in the 760-770 range. Anything over 800 and it starts slowing down.

I attribute that to differences in O2 sensors though. Our two sensors could be reading that much different (your 800 against my 760) and the cars may actually be running very very close the the same A/F ratio. But it would require a WBO2 on both to tell.

I run the stock GNX O2. I change them after 4 pass the damn fuel just coats $hit out of them. I can see the O2 MV's sitting very low at idle when the sensor is done.

Someday when I get rich and famous, I'm going to finally get a WBO2 on mine. I've got all the other goodies: Translator Pro, Extender Pro, PowerLogger, etc.
But it would be easier to let the WBO2 take care of everything instead of me having to mull over NBO2 readings and bounce those off VE table locations, etc. to get it all perfect.
Although the car's running "crazy good" now with everything right out of the box!

I hear you. I make a run come back make notes of the run, compare notes, make changes, make new notes, figure out if it's the car or the track etc. I just wish I had the new XFI w/ traction control. LOL
:biggrin:

Sorry, What I meant was, No his MAF is not MAXED Out. So adding an Extender Chip will solve all of his problems :rolleyes: It might help but before making any accusations on what chip to run. Maybe it would be a good idea to learn a little more about this thing. I have run the stock MAF with a 70GTQ @ 28psi and it works just fine.
?

A stock turbo at 16 lbs boost will max out a stock maf's ability to fuel correctly. I didn't say the maf was maxed out, but the ability to fuel according to the measured air is. So you either raise fuel pressure or add fuel through your TT chip.
I believe what Dave was trying to relate to you was that the extender chip is fueling according to measured air, not taking a guess.
Others like you have gone fast with a stock maf but if vortechws6 had his fueling dialed in at 20 lbs boost with an extender he could raise the boost and the fuel would follow without having to retune........ I, like Dave have used the extender series of chips for the last 6 or 7 years. Stock maf's are great, just prehistoric. just my 02. worth.

VortechWS6

Do you have:

Any scantools?
What chip?
What type of pump are you running? Hot wired?
Do you have ported heads?
What size Inj are you running.
Whats your best 1/8 or 1/4 time?

Scantool - Scanmaster 2.1
TT alky chip & 50lb injectors
Stock heads
My 1/8th time is horrible mainly due to what appears to be a stock replacement 1500 stall :rolleyes:

looks like this:

2.28 60 ft (couldn't get the stall over 1800???) but I just put in a 3000 9/11 so now it will 60
8.8 @ 85mph...terrible, I know :mad: it's gonna get faster

with that mph I should be down in the low 8's at least IMO.

Scantool - Scanmaster 2.1
TT alky chip & 50lb injectors
Stock heads
My 1/8th time is horrible mainly due to what appears to be a stock replacement 1500 stall :rolleyes:

looks like this:

2.28 60 ft (couldn't get the stall over 1800???) but I just put in a 3000 9/11 so now it will 60
8.8 @ 85mph...terrible, I know :mad: it's gonna get faster

with that mph I should be down in the low 8's at least IMO.

What made you go with a 3,000 stall instead of a 3200 9''?

I am on a tight budget and that's what I got a deal on. It spools like crazy with this 3k stall though, it's good enough for at least 10psi off the line, which will blow my MT radials away :D (foot brake). I am thinking about doing a Tbrake in the future.

Back