Memories of Buicks in the past.........!

Nick Micale

Tech Advisor
Staff member
Being a hot and uncomfortable afternoon today, I decided to relax for a change and came across some memories from my past growing up with Buicks in the family, which is why I have a long and deep passion for them since I grew up with so many Buicks in my life.

I was a little too young to appreciate Buicks when this picture was taken with my father, and it is a 1940 for those that would not know the year!

It was a lot later before I could get behind the wheel of a Buick, but in the 1950's, it was very exciting to drive them, but only occasionally.

The first turbo Buick I drove was in 1978, and the Regal V-6 was a nice driver, but not in the muscle car class, as the Skylarks with big-block V-8's had massive torque and would hold their own on the street and strip.

In 1986, all this changed as my first ride in an intercooled turbo Regal blew me away with its performance, and that became the start of my passion for the turbo cars.

In all my travels and association the car people, there are none that can compare with the passion and caring of the turbo Buick community.

Even the newer and younger owners have carried the banner of class and integrity in our community and this is very encouraging at present, and shows it will be carried forth in the future as the GN/T-R continues to be a very desirable car, and I am very pleased to be a part of it. :)

Dad & Buick.jpg

1953 Buick.jpg

Cool story and pics Nick. My Dad's first of many Buicks was a new '56 Special. When are you coming back to B.G.?

I can appreciate this since I too grew up around a lot of Buicks. My first car ride after coming into this world was in a '68 GS 400 that my Dad had. This car was interesting because he liked the COPO cars, but wanted a GS because his father just purchased a '68 Skylark 4 door and he liked it better than the other A bodies. He went to the dealer and filled out a custom order form for his with bucket seats, 4 speed, AM radio, dog dish hubcaps, and no other options. Manual 4 drum brakes, manual steering, manual windows, etc. That same car was my first car after I brought it back to life from sitting in the back yard. It was a total bucket though due to all the wrecks it had been in and all the neglect. I went through 3 motors in it before parting it out and moving onto my big block 4 door Skylark. I also remember riding in my Dad's father's '68. My other grandfather had a '59 LeSabre that he drove from '59 to '94. I have that car and am beginning the restoration.