You can type here any text you want

mid 9s billet or forged!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

six slinger

hey guys i plan on building a nice mid nine street car with a t/a alum block carrillo rods je pistons with a pt76gts turbo. i would like to know if a billet crank would be overkill for this moter. and at what times would i need to run that i would have to go billet! the car weighs 3250

I wouldnt expect any problems running a forged crank into the nines with a strong ta stage block-but if you can afford stronger is always better.ta had some crower cranks for $2k or contact mike booher-blownv6 who usually has alot of stage2 parts.

I wouldnt expect any problems running a forged crank into the nines with a strong ta stage block-but if you can afford stronger is always better.ta had some crower cranks for $2k or contact mike booher-blownv6 who usually has alot of stage2 parts.

thanks brother!

We've run a 3.40" stroke forged steel crank to mid -low 9's in a 3600lb car for 2 seasons. That's about 870hp at the wheels. But that is in a $200. 109 block. In a $3000. plus block I wouldn't skimp on a crank. Who knows what the furure will bring.

With over 150 runs on a forged crank in my TA block this past year. it is still going strong!:smile:

As far as I have found, the jury is still out on the "strength" between forged and billet cranks?:confused:

Info from "experts" in the engine building field has not shown any conclusive determination either way.

There are of course, different "levels" of manufacturing, materials, machining and hardening of each of these type cranks, so this is another consideration in saying which is best.

I know of some forged Buick cranks that have been in the 7's, and many in the 8's. So I personally do not see where a GOOD forged crank would be an issue.

Considering some people have run in the mid 9's on a stock cast crank for a while I'd say a forged crank should get the job done.:wink: The fact that your car is also a little lighter will also help things.

If you ever feel the need to step it up and run with the heavy hitters in TSO (mid 8's or faster) I'd say then it would probably be worth the extra coin for the Billet crank.

Back