Mid-High 11's on pump gas (no alchy)??

Your engine work most efficiently at a certain A/F ratio. If you have more (too much) air - then your lean and detonate. If your rich (too much fuel) you do not have full combustion and you loose HP; which = mph. We did just this last weekend at Atco. We ran our second run at only 124 mph; our A/F which is usually 11.5-7:1 was a rich 10.2-4:1 We lost over 6 mph.

Hope this helps you.

Dont mean to buttt in.. but your chip controls injector duty cycle. So if you run a 60 lb injector at 50% duty cycle is the same as if you ran a 50 lb injector at 60% duty cycle which is the same as a 40 lb injector at 75% duty cycle..

See it all adds up to 30 lbs of fuel per hour. Running smaller injectors is foolish on a motor that one is trying to extract HP from. And running injectors at STATIC is foolish.

My engine runs 75's at 60% duty cycle. I could technically run 50's at 80%.. but like the added margin.

So adjust your injector Duty Cycle to obtain the proper air fuel target numbers your trying to obtain.

HTH

Please enlighten me as well... just because you are running 50# injectors on a mid 11 sec engine... doesn't have a thing to do with if it will be lean or rich.... your chip programmer does however....

I had 60# injectors on a stock longblock.... stock turbo.....and alky.... ran mid 12's.... my air/fuel ratio was spot on.... because Eric puts that adjustability in the chip..... and I tuned it that way.......you just don't need as much pulse width on the injectors as you do with the smaller ones.....

I am a big proponent of buying stuff once. When I bought my car.... my long term goal was high 10's.... my first set of injectors were 60# Motrons.... even on a stock motor they work great with an Eric Marshall chip.... and as I get my components I need to go faster... I won't need anymore injector.... even to the mid 10's....

Umm ahh .. low 10's now :eek: :wink:

Ok, with a stock d5 converter, dutt neck stock ic, MSD50's, THDP, and a dual BB TE44 turbo from PTE, would I be able to reliably hit mid-high 11's on 93 pump gas with no alchy??? This is on a low mileage, stock unopened motor (with the exception of new valve springs and a free flowing exhaust)..

It looks like I need to get the water line kit for cooling that dual ball bearing garret turbo, but the turbonetics version doesnt need any water cooling on their single ball bearing turbo...For street use, I would imagine that the water cooled one would last longer....:confused:

Without extreme lightening of the car like pull the whole interior and fiberglass everything. Then run slicks, a transbrake.. Aint gonna happen. On heads/cam/modified motor sure.

Even on alky it takes work, there is nothing easy. Most stock longblock cars I have seen will need at least 20-21 PSI with a lot of timing.. or 24-26 PSI on low timing.. These boost levels on lean and mean AF settings.. 93 wont cut it.

esp
thanks for your response ,
all those who read your statement "The 50#s may be a little too big and hurt top end" and beleived that are now stupider

, my qoute and question was selected and aimed toward your statement in reference to the larger injector being the cause of a richer a/f not 'how does being richer make me slower' .

Back in 1994 I ran a 12.21@107 with my first t-type with 98,00miles on it. I was running a ta-49 turbo, 36# inj,stock IC, TH DP, Art carr 9" conv, Red'S 93 chip, 160 thermostat, and slicks. Pump gas at 17psi.(I didnt have a knock gauge or for that matter I didnt know what knock was in the first place. I was young & dumb...maybe it was the loud stereo system that prevented me from hearing knock...

I still have my timeslip and receipts for mods in an album I keep. After reading these boards I had to go back and check to make sure I had run what I did with so little. Maybe I ran those times because I didnt know I wasnt supposed to...

We had about 4 TR's in my city back in the mid-90's and 2 ran well with thier combos(mine included) and the other two were slower than they should have been with thier mods. I look bakc now and realize I had know idea how to tune these cars so my car must have been a freak. Anyway just thought I would share that with you.

87NAT, I bet if you had a better intercooler at that time, you probably would have hit very high 11's im guessing with those 17 pounds..:eek:

esp
thanks for your response ,
all those who read your statement "The 50#s may be a little too big and hurt top end" and beleived that are now stupider

, my qoute and question was selected and aimed toward your statement in reference to the larger injector being the cause of a richer a/f not 'how does being richer make me slower' .

Like a few of the guys mentioned, the program must be right. If it's tuned right then go ahead, BUT I cannot assume you (plural) have a newer style chip that you can tweak or that all the right questions were asked. Some chips, most a few years back, would pull back the injectors at idle and mid, but allow the ??# injector run it's max at WOT. Plus, the original post only asked about mid-high 11s.
Have a good Thanksgiving.

Ok, with a stock d5 converter, dutt neck stock ic, MSD50's, THDP, and a dual BB TE44 turbo from PTE, would I be able to reliably hit mid-high 11's on 93 pump gas with no alchy??? This is on a low mileage, stock unopened motor (with the exception of new valve springs and a free flowing exhaust)..

It looks like I need to get the water line kit for cooling that dual ball bearing garret turbo, but the turbonetics version doesnt need any water cooling on their single ball bearing turbo...For street use, I would imagine that the water cooled one would last longer....:confused:

If you are looking to hit 11's without any other mods get the AlkyControl kit and you are there! Nothing else needed! Not to mention it is cheap insurance if you are choosing not to run race fuel.

If you are looking to hit 11's without any other mods get the AlkyControl kit and you are there! Nothing else needed! Not to mention it is cheap insurance if you are choosing not to run race fuel.

You could do that....Or, just get a TTA ;)