Mid-low 10s

Blazer, I think you missed the word "and" between "motor" and "the more". Yes, the ci will have a small effect on the max hp available from the turbo, but I think the real point was that the more ci the easier everything becomes, with any given turbo. It will spool faster, you will need less boost, etc, to make a particular hp target. If I'm wrong, sorry - never mind :).

I understand using a bigger then needed turbo (want to go 10s build for 9s) but then why did two of the big names in the Buick community do their 10 sec builds without using a 70? Need a bigger stall? Not the project's scope?

I understand using a bigger then needed turbo (want to go 10s build for 9s) but then why did two of the big names in the Buick community do their 10 sec builds without using a 70? Need a bigger stall? Not the project's scope?

Whom are you talking about?

I wasn't suggesting you can't go mid-low 10's w/o a 70 turbo...... just that it would be easier with a 70BB. IMHO.... when you take a car to the track and get lots of passes.... you develop a feel for what the car is capable of on any given (read average) day.... but if the air is just right.... nice and cool....low humidity....and the track is prepped just right... and you get that perfect spoolup and launch boost..... your car CAN run XX.XX.

What I am suggesting is that once in year type of pass when all the stars line up just right.... you will get that low low 10 sec run with a 66 or 67 BB..... Melissa's car (Grumpy's daughter) is a good example..... 66 BB turbo....a well thought out combo of parts..... car has been like 10.10..... after many many passes.... car went mid 10's up at BG this year.... was having trouble building boost at the line... so the 60' was off a little...

Point is.... you build it for 9's.... i.e 70BB GTQ or so....with all the right complementing parts..... and even on an average day... if it will hook... you will likely go some low 10's.... and if all the stars line up....9.6x isn't out of the question.....

Hey Vac, you probably would like the BB67 in the .63 for street spool.
Ditch the 009's if you are starting to push them over 80% Duty Cycle, only bad things will happen to your motor and it's not worth it IMO.

But you probably would like a better converter first. I bet everyone that has gone from the 12" stocker to a Precision etc would tell you that it is an awesome bang for the buck, feels better than a new turbo. You will literally go from not roasting the tires at 25mph to massively roasting them on a converter swap.

Whom are you talking about?

I wasn't suggesting you can't go mid-low 10's w/o a 70 turbo...... just that it would be easier with a 70BB. IMHO.... when you take a car to the track and get lots of passes.... you develop a feel for what the car is capable of on any given (read average) day.... but if the air is just right.... nice and cool....low humidity....and the track is prepped just right... and you get that perfect spoolup and launch boost..... your car CAN run XX.XX.

What I am suggesting is that once in year type of pass when all the stars line up just right.... you will get that low low 10 sec run with a 66 or 67 BB..... Melissa's car (Grumpy's daughter) is a good example..... 66 BB turbo....a well thought out combo of parts..... car has been like 10.10..... after many many passes.... car went mid 10's up at BG this year.... was having trouble building boost at the line... so the 60' was off a little...

Point is.... you build it for 9's.... i.e 70BB GTQ or so....with all the right complementing parts..... and even on an average day... if it will hook... you will likely go some low 10's.... and if all the stars line up....9.6x isn't out of the question.....

Dont read GMHTP? Cotton and Cal both had GN 10 sec builds.

Hey Vac, you probably would like the BB67 in the .63 for street spool.
Ditch the 009's if you are starting to push them over 80% Duty Cycle, only bad things will happen to your motor and it's not worth it IMO.

But you probably would like a better converter first. I bet everyone that has gone from the 12" stocker to a Precision etc would tell you that it is an awesome bang for the buck, feels better than a new turbo. You will literally go from not roasting the tires at 25mph to massively roasting them on a converter swap.

At 80% DC and alky (assume 20%) ~ 500 RWHP full weight GN about 11.30, I'm good with that. I will go with 60s someday.

I roasted the tires with my stock motor at 25mph, with the new motor dont know yet but I will say yes. :smile: I'm not looking for a high stall cuz I dont want to roasted the tires on the street. I prefer a little lag (get traction) and then hook/go. Looking for the biggest turbo that will work with my setup.

It may just be me, but I wouldnt feel all that comfortable going mid to low 10s with only 009s, even with alky ;) .

As for a turbo, I know the next one I purchase will be the GT6776 with the S cover. That should take you deep enough into the 10s and work OK with your small stall.

I'm running a GT6776 with "S" cover and 3000 stall and it is not a good combo. I would go at least 3400 stall with that setup. I'm going to 3600.

My bad Cotton spec. the CPT70-PBB & Cal spec the 67GTQ, Q trim for max power. Cotton went with a 10.5" 3300 lockup, Cal 9.5" 3500 lockup. All 411 per GMHTP.

I just switched to Cotton's BB 61. I have same stall, currently have 009's too (60s in my sig but I've been to lazy to actually install them yet) If I don't break it hard on launch it doesn't blow the tire off, but still spools pretty good. I held it to 2 pounds and it came out hard, went to 18 lbs quick, no knock and the alky turned off on a hot day. So far I like it. I need to install the 60# injectors and get some track time.