You can type here any text you want

Might Make it to the Nats!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

UR50SLO

The Reaper
It's just like me to wait till the last few weeks to start staying late and get cars ready for spring and the nationals.. Lol...

And my wife's a accountant so she's buisy till yesterday with everyone's tax stuff!

Here's a picture of the engine mocked up for test clearance of the oil pan and girdle.. (no problems since the engine is set WAY back) Whew.. good!

We took a stock header and rotated the flange so we could fit that 5" downpipe from RJC on with out cutting the strut tower out. After the bend it'll reduce to 4" and on down to a splitter that go's to duel 3" to the mufflers.
(exhaust has already been done for several years) from previous engine.

Since I'm using 88ZNX's intercooler route for pipes twisting the turbo helped with allignment of the turbo outlet/intercooler inlet. The radiator will be re-located lower with a tubular lower support... but only by 2" or so.

All the other parts are here or on the way.... I just might Make it!!!! :eek:

I'll post pic's as it go's along.
~Scott

ps: the wife grounded me from working on her Typhoon till the Camaro is done.:confused: She's cool... Lol

Attachments

• Camaroengine2.JPG
    Camaroengine2.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Camaroengine1.JPG
    Camaroengine1.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 414
Dang i wish had thought about twisting the turbo, would have made some things much easer to deal with. Hears something else im trying to make work. The stock 88/92 dual fans are ok, but not as good as the 93/02. First there are two dif. designs LT1/LS1. I have tried both, and the LS1 seems to be the better shroud design. They both fit the radator perfect but here is the problem for us 3rd gen F-body guys. The steering gear box protruds out to the lower left side of the raditor about 1 1/2'' and that can be like a mile when you cant move any more. The two if's: if i could move my radiator forward, it would work, but cant due to my set up at this time , if the fans were stagerd the opposite way, it would work just fine . Scott you might check this out. maybe you can figure it out while under construction and make it work. I believe its worth it. they will give you more engine bay room and better cooling too.

I ended up using the stock radiator for a V8 with Spal Fans that pull 3000cfm.
Should be ok on the cooling side.

I'm using two kinds of headers.... Hooker on the drivers side and stock on the pass. side. I used two Vband style clamps instead of the stock style connections. 2.25" cross over.
The down pipe and trans crossmember are next. (fabrication wise)

I have to paint/bodywork the core support and pipes. that won't take long there.. the hard part is done.

Waiting for some other parts... but should still make it.. Dang it's going to be close!
Thanks for the ideas on the car 88ZNX... Especialy the one with the IC pipes
heading up... I like how they worked out! I wanted to keep the stock hood and latch so as you can see from the pictures alot of moving and cutting had to be done. That's the fun part :)

The one picture of the head is a method done by this guy SOMENDER-SINGH.com - Home

Good reading if you have time... we'll see how it works on GN heads

Works great on my turbo nissan.

Anyhow.. I better get back working on the car instead of being on here!
~Scott

Camarofrontview.JPG

DiamondcutGN1.JPG

5inDP.JPG

Camarocooling.JPG

On your heads, what is the purpose of the diamond shaped slots on the combustion chamber? Flame travel or detonation?

Also, I want those fans!! Do you have the part #? Where did you get them. If your radiator was in the stock loc, would it still clear the gear box?

Alan

Singh groove technology

Went to the website I'm assuming that is some of the groove work that is done to your heads for better/thorough/cleaner combustion in the chambers?Kind of wild looking.Need to go back and read up a little more. Interesting the diamond grooves look to direct flow toward plugs.With those grooves so close to the edge I wonder how the headgaskets will hold up. How much extra did this special technology set you back. What kind of headgaskets are you going to use to button things up? Squish and Quench sure looks promising..

The grooves provide more mixture of the air/fuel when the piston is traveling up towards TDC. I have done this to my 89 Nissan heads. I can hold my hand on the down pipe while it's running... It cools the exhaust gases alot. Very smooth running. People don't beleive that I can let it sit and idle for a hour and still hold my hand on the down pipe with no problem. They don't want to touch it.. then they can't beleive it. It's funny.
Read up on the site... Lots of good info.
When I did the grooves.. (Free by the way) a hour or two per head with a small file.... I marked the the head with a black marker to show me the head gasket edge and stopped a 1/16th or so from the gasket's edge.
Should not compermise the head gaskets.
I am using the RJC Bullet Proof Head gasket kit with ARP Studs.
I'll do the same with the stage block I build in a few years.

88ZNX... Send me a e-mail... I'll hook you up with the fans. They are a BeCool product but I can get it cheaper than Summit.

I gota get back to work ... Later guys!

Here is my Nissan Head, It's been on the car almost 30,000mi. So far so good.
The spark plugs look like they are new. (almost like it's very lean) but the wideband numbers are dead on....
Another link to Grooves in heads: Obsession: Mr. Singh’s Search for the Holy Grail - Popular Science

Dimondcut.JPG

upIC.JPG

Picture of Intercooler and pipes attatched/braces...

Still needs baffles and painted ect... sorry for not having it all "finished"

I'm trying...

~Scott

My wife likes me for the size of my Down Pipe :)

5inDP2.JPG

It's got a 1/2 before firewall, Clears the strut tower and exits down below where it will connect to a duel 3" system with Dyno Max Ultraflows.

Hope it flows ok... :tongue:
~Scott

Nice buildup! I enjoyed the read on the cylinder head mods. I hope they work for you and don't compromise head gasket integrity. It is a very novel idea. Sounds like it has some positive results.

Keep us in the loop how fast that little hybrid flies!. Too bad you don't have 2sets of heads that you could test with. One with the "nicks" and one without.

Not going to make it.. :(

Well.... Used parts bite me in the butt.

The used champion heads I have for the car which I Had inspeced and repaired leak coolant out of the back head stud area where it was welded.

The driver side head is over .60 shorter than the pass. side causing a piston/valve fitment issue.

The RJC headgaskets are not helping the problem with them being so thin.

Going to purchase a "NEW" set of ported champions and wrap this up.

Too bad.. everything else is working. :frown:

Maby the next Buick meet... crud... alot of time spent for nothin...:rolleyes:

~Scott

Downpipe picture

Here's what the down pipe looks like out side the car. :D

I'll take some more pictures this week as I finish up my core support body/paint.

I sent the heads off to Webber Racing to see if they are saveable. Maby I don't need to get a set. Brian said he should be able to repair the leak and test it.... along with looking over both heads and taking care of what ever else needs to be done.
(crossing fingers)
~Scott
5indownpipe.JPG

Core support:

Here's a picture of the Core support painted. I'll re-polish the intercooler and put all the good clamps on.

The heads are still being repaired. I'm at a stopping point till they get finished.:(

Won't make this event either:(

Hope everyone is having better luck than me,

Scott~

CamaroCSP.JPG

Back