mini alterantor?

b4black

Neither of my cars have AC or the AIR pump, so the non-AC alternator bracket off earlier Buick motors works well. The same bracket was used on Big Blocks, Buick 350's and V6's. This is my set up on my '83:
893354alternator.jpg

I figured I would do the same on my '82 GN. Another optioned would be to move it to the other side with an Alternator and Power Steering Pump off an 86/87 with an aftermarket bracket, but this seems much easier.

I'm just test fittings things for now and looking at options. The original alternator needs a rebuild, so I'm considering just buying a new one. I was hoping to find something much smaller than the stocker. I know the denso alternator on my cummins is much smaller, but I haven't found anything that is set up for GM. (The valve cover and breather on there are from an '87 Turbo V6. I'm sure the breather will interfere with the alternator, but like I said, I'm just test fitting things for now.) Do we have options for a smaller/lighter alternator?

Alternator bracket.jpg

Do you think using a bracket off an 84-85 that has the AC parts missing, would work Rich?

I dunno, never looked at one. After looking at a few images, looks like it moves the alternator over some towards the distributor. If it clears the breather, that would be great. Then the breather could be the oil fill.

From a Hot Air thread. The left bracket is an NA V6, the right is a 84/85 Turbo V6. The turbo version used a smaller case alternator.
brackets-002-jpg.151294

I'll see if I can find a pic of one mounted. This may work better than the other bracket.:cool:

Hey that picture looks familiar. Rich I still have the stock bracket (right side in that pic) if you want it you can have it. The other n/a one I sold to another member.

Ugh, the aluminum Hot Air bracket doesn't work so well. :( It moves the alternator over nicely, but it still blocks the opening on the 87 passenger side valve cover.
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0351.JPG

I believe Aj was talking about the small bracket Rich. He's wanting it for the supercharged engine. I also just noticed that you could run a steel bar from the top of the AC mount to the bolt at the top of the head, and then cut out some room for the breather.

OK. It looks like for now I still need it. There are a lot o these on ebay, but they can be pricey. I found this one for $39 with shipping. That was just the aluminum part (no bolts or the steel adjustment arm).

It's the same bracket for a 1980 V6 or a 1970 455. Casting number 1380288.

TA Performance also carries them. Part number TA 8020.
TA_8020.jpg