Mini spool install?

waell

I'm getting ready to pull the axels in order to install some GM 3" studs. Since this is a strip only car, I think this may be a great time to add a mini spool. I've never done much rear end work but the install looks pretty easy. With the mini spool, the gears don't have to be removed, correct? Also, I won't need c-clip eliminaters right? Anyone have any imput about the install? do's and dont's. thanks

installing a mini spool in a drag car is a no no. it loads the pin too much, and it will break. my 68 chevelle had one in a 9" when i bought it. broke it at 11.9

well if they aren't for drag cars than what are they for. I know a lot of dirt track cars use them and I'm sure many drag racers do also. I doubt your experience in breaking one was the norm. Anyone else have an opinion?

Al, my opinion is to use a full spool. But then you SHOULD have better than stock axles.

If you just want to install the long studs, drill a hole on your backing plate.

I agree with Nick...first the stock axles are not strong enough, and also keeping the c-clips is not the safest method of making sure you won't lose a wheel in the event of axle failure!... :eek: I'm using a Moser spool along with their bullet-proof axles and c-clip eliminators...:)

Claude :)

I'm going with the other guys go full spool and different axles with eliminators.

Remember dirt cars are a totally different animal.Dirt gives.And the cars weigh less.

Also in a lower hp and torque car it might be ok but not in one that capable of less the 12 second with the weight we have.

iran one on the street for 3 years with a nitrous SB, ran it at the track with slicks and 4.56 gears/3800 stall, it can be done,
Grant

Originally posted by n20junkie
iran one on the street for 3 years with a nitrous SB, ran it at the track with slicks and 4.56 gears/3800 stall, it can be done,
Grant
What was the wieght of youre car and what times did you run???

full weight regal, running low 7's in the 1/8th, launched hard enough to yank the drivers tire, drove it to school, work, and everywhere else, there is more stress on the diff in a turn than going straight, in the turns is when the axles are subjected to alot of torsional stress, after 3 years a hard launch shattered a pinion bearing, axles were still straight though, i painted lines down the legnth so that i could see if ant permemant set had taken place, never did.
Grant

if you look at any catalog for one it will say "for dirt track use only", and that is for a reason.

yea, and for many parts it says for "off road use only", "race only" and so on, i've done it, who else who says you can't has.
Grant

Originally posted by n20junkie
yea, and for many parts it says for "off road use only", "race only" and so on, i've done it, who else who says you can't has.
Grant
Not saying you havn't done it and with success but for every one person who has got away with it there are many more who have not.

I know of some people that are successfull with a 7.5 rearend in monte carlos and such running quick times but you aren't gonna see me put one in my GN anytime soon even if my rearend breaks.
And they give one to me free.

I say build it correct and then don't worry about it.

But everyone is entitled to there opinion.And that is what makes this country great :D

i am saying what can be done, personally i have a super strong 4130 moly 9 inch in my car, big tires and 14pts worth of cage, but on the same token, many things that i see people doing in the GN world are far from safe, and sometimes just shoddy looking, but alot of people still do it, i just stating what can be done, the end choice is to that person, but many times we hear over and over you can't run a single plane intake on the street, you can't run over 3,00o stall on the street, anything over 4.11 for gears is too much for the street, 8.5 in rear won't last, you need a 12 bolt, and so on, and lastly don't run a mini spool, i did all of those on the same car, with slicks and nitrous, granted there are gn's runnning faster than i did with all that stuff, but the stress on the rear end was at or above most gn's running a 8.5, it can be done, the end choice is to the owner, but auto racing has always been going as fast as you can with the least ammount of money, and for the people without a ton of money its a cheap way to go, side note: YOU NEED AN OPEN DIFF TO RUN A MINI SPOOL, if you have a posi rear, it won't fit at all, due to the cut case in the clutch area.
Grant

How much is this mini spool? Is it that much cheaper than a $349 Eaton unit that has a proven track and street record??

Sully

threw a circle track vendor, 60 dollars, i believe its 90 in summit, an you can't beat the traction of a spool, mini or full
Grant

Grant,
so if I have a stock G80 posi rear end i'm out of luck with the mini spool. Is there any way around it? Or am I going to have to go with a spool and c-clip eliminators and race axels. :mad:
Like you said, I don't have a lot of money to spend. I was just thinking of cheap ways to make my car hook better and I thought the mini spool would be a good idea. Thanks Al.

Originally posted by waell
Grant,
so if I have a stock G80 posi rear end ........................................................... I was just thinking of cheap ways to make my car hook better and I thought the mini spool would be a good idea. Thanks Al.

Similar cars with your build have gone 1.4 60' times with a factory posi.

yea, if you have a factory posi i am pretty sure that your stuck with the c-clip eliminators and a full spool, the better way to go is have ford ends welded on, then get axles with the ford bearings and whatever spool spline you need, ends are like 90, Mark williams has axles for 295, spool is 100, so for 500 or so you have a bullet proof setup, there is no doubt that the factory posi is a proven unit, but i have seen a few posi's "kick out" under a severe traction differential, such as hitting some import guys ac water that he dripped all over the track, i burnt a posi unit one night when i was inproperly aligned in the burnout box, there went alot of money, and then i put in a differet rear with a minispool, the worries of how much my posi was slipping and so on were things of the past.
Grant