Mini starter or LS1 starter

Reggie West

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I have a mini starter on my car and it has died.

Anybody on the board selling them?

A Chevy SBC starter will work fine but if you want a high torque starter then look on evilbay. You can get a 3 hp mini starter for around $80 shipped and they include lifetime warrenty. Good deal and I have one myself.:biggrin:

I ordered the LT4 starter from Autozone. Part # is 17142

$120 for the starter and $42 for the core.

I will post up results when I'm done.

The starter on my car came from a junkyard for $40 over 4 years ago. It's off of a 98 model Vortec truck engine and it starts a 531ci big block with a ton of spring pressure.

OK lesson learned

I tried the LT4 starter on the car and it does fit. The problem is the solenoid is clocked at 10 instead of 3 so the starter wires will not reach that far to attach properly.

I did find a LT1 starter on Ebay for $64 and $19 to ship. So after getting the $175 back from Autozone, I have $90 back and a rebuildable core to boot.

I have been told that an LS1 starter will work on our cars as well. Prices start at $105 and go up from there and that was on Ebay too.

I will post up pics and results when I get the new one.

Make sure that LT1/LT4 starter is not used with TA headers. Ask me how I know. TA headers requires something along the lines of a Turbobuicks mini stater

IMG_0023.jpg