Mini trucks, anyone?

counterman

How many T6 mini trucks are out there? I have seen that one yellow Toyota, which is some fast. I am thinking about an early 80's Isuzu Pup or Chevy LUV as a swap recipient. I have seen plenty of S10's, but would think that one of the early imports would have a significant weight and aero advantage over an S10, Ranger,or Dakota. It would seem that there are plenty of older import trucks that could be had for cheap that would make great swap material. The older LUV was a frequent V8 swap recipient back in the 80's, and I know that frame dimensions are similar throughout the production run until the Pup turned into an S10 derivative. So, if you've done a mini truck swap, lets here from you. Thank you very much, Counterman.

Sounds like a waste of a good motor to me. Why would you want to do such a thing? ;)

Scott Wile

I have been contemplating a 90ish 1500, standard cab short bed, and T6 power. smooth it, bag it, wheels, tires, and have a clean cruiser, and a suprise to people suspecting the normal 17 sec old truck.

I have a 90 S-10 in the shop now.
I have the makings of a very stout 3.8 odd-fire motor on a stand in there as well. I just need a little more time and $$$$$$$$$...

I have a soft spot for the older, pre 88 Isuzu Pups and LUVs because we owned an 84 LS Pup for 8 years, and it was bullet proof in stock form. It was my father's driver, and my college ride. The 5 speed trucks came with power steering and 4.10 gears, but the cheaper Dlx models with the 4 speed manuals came with 3.42 gears, and many were manual steering, ac delete units. The factory differentials are plenty tough, needing only an aftermarket posi to make them usable in such a swap. A non ac, manual steering truck would also avoid the headaches of climate control and power steering mix and match during the swap. I figure a base Pup or LUV to weigh no more than 2500 lbs or so empty. I keep thinking of a nice Beige or White swb truck with a T6/thm 200r combo. Seems like a slam dunk 11-12 sec piece with even a mild combo, and I DO have a 4.1 just lying around looking for rebuild and a new place to live! Thanks, Counterman.

s10xGN on here did an s10. He was pretty helpful when I did my swap. Search out his posts. I think he may have had the truck up for sale not long ago as well.

There is one in Wichita KS.

When I was in the Air Force there was a guy at a local stereo shop (Audio Stop). He had an 85 Nissan Hardbody extended cab with the GN engine. It had been turned into a roadster. Scary fast! Last I heard he still has it. Is there anyone in Wichita that knows anything about this truck?

Some of the earlier S-10's, in base model form with the 4 cylinder weighed roughly 2500 lbs; as the years went on they started getting a little heavier.

I used to own an 84 S-10 myself. It was a regular cab short bed. Truck was a base model truck....meaning it had no air, no power steering, manual disc brakes, vinyl bench seat, no radio, no carpet, no dome lamp, no trim....not even a cig lighter! :eek: Yes it was a stripped down model from the factory, most likely for a work truck.

BUT the good thing is believe it or not it only weighed 2690 lbs without driver and 7 gallons of gasoline. It had an iron headed 350 Chevy V8 with an aluminum intake, and a TH350 auto trans. The V8 conversion is said to add at least 200 lbs to the nose.

I'd love to get my old truck back or find another one and swap in a GN drivetrain. :D

I have a soft spot for the older, pre 88 Isuzu Pups and LUVs because we owned an 84 LS Pup for 8 years, and it was bullet proof in stock form. It was my father's driver, and my college ride. The 5 speed trucks came with power steering and 4.10 gears, but the cheaper Dlx models with the 4 speed manuals came with 3.42 gears, and many were manual steering, ac delete units. The factory differentials are plenty tough, needing only an aftermarket posi to make them usable in such a swap. A non ac, manual steering truck would also avoid the headaches of climate control and power steering mix and match during the swap. I figure a base Pup or LUV to weigh no more than 2500 lbs or so empty. I keep thinking of a nice Beige or White swb truck with a T6/thm 200r combo. Seems like a slam dunk 11-12 sec piece with even a mild combo, and I DO have a 4.1 just lying around looking for rebuild and a new place to live! Thanks, Counterman.

you mean like this!!
& btw im looking to sell them as a pair!!

Attachments

• SUC50512.jpg
    SUC50512.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 224
  • SUC50515.jpg
    SUC50515.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 222
Well my uncle had i think a 70-80s chevey luv and put a GN engine in it and was smoking anything and everything boost up to like 16 and its a ford lighning killer. got stolen tho.......sucks
lighter than grand nationals so it takes off!

Okie, that LS is nearly what I used to have. Had an 84 short bed in Charcoal gray over the Silver like yours. What are you doing with the trucks? Have you entertained the GN swap? Are your trucks gas or diesel? Thanks, Counterman.

Okie, that LS is nearly what I used to have. Had an 84 short bed in Charcoal gray over the Silver like yours. What are you doing with the trucks? Have you entertained the GN swap? Are your trucks gas or diesel? Thanks, Counterman.

heres the story on the trucks..the blue/silver longbed (the one inside) is an '85 w/ 1.9 4 cyl/5 speed, & fancy interior,a/c,ps,pb, it "ran" when i got it, but needed the head gasket replaced( which i'm right in the middle of right now)in the midst of this project, the blue '87 short bed popped up & the price was right, so i bought it, it however had been barely tagged in the pass. side front fender/core support, but it runs, drives, & has a clean title, ( which the longbed has no title-another story) the shortbed is also the 1.9 4cyl, but a 4speed, & only a/c & pb, & base model interior(vinyl mat, basic guages), so the wheels in my head spun around & the plan is-to finish the gasket job on the longbed, makes sure it runs ok, & the LB is basically a parts truck now (the no title thing & its also from flordia originally so it has some rust issues), take the engine & trans outta the LB & set to the side,- basically anything thats wrong with the short bed is good on the long bed, so i was gonna switch the body panels over & a few other things, i am even gonna swap the interiors( will make the short bed much nicer). & was gonna drive it...i've also already lowered it 3 in. & added the z71 wheels, well also in the midst of all this some unexpected bills have come up (tickets :mad: expensive ones:mad: )..so i still plan on doing this to the trucks & them selling them, or actually the short-bed because there won't be much left of the long bed, to pay off my tickets, i would sell them like they are right now, & the price would obviously be lower since i won't have as much work in them, but if i get all this accomplished the one truck will be for sale & the LB if i still have it will go with it if it hasn't been hauled off for scrap b4 the other sells.
& yes i tossed around the idea of the T6 engine swap very heavily, i'm constantly thinking about the different engine swaps i could do, my friends are into mini-trucks & they all agreed that the "poop" as i call it would be wicked with the gn drivetrain. but maybe another time..
lemme know if you might be interested in the trucks..gots' ta' pay some bills:)

Okie, I know how things always seem to pop up at the wrong times. Something like the little short bed is what I have in mind. I have a few avenues to explore here, and you are quite a ways from me. It seems that rust is the only thing that will destroy these little trucks, but there are still some around. Thanks for your response, and good luck on your liquidation. Counterman.