Missing Block VIN ?

CDR

I guess this is a VIN question not really sure. 87 GN, found matching VIN on transmission but when I got to the block it was a different story?

Block doesn't appear to have ever had a number on it? Car shows around 62k miles which I believe to be true when I purchased it rear main seal was pouring oil I replaced timing chain while at it and found it had the original also replaced motor mounts and could find no evidence of the engine ever being removed from car. Mystery I guess

Attachments

• 1422069720498.jpg
    1422069720498.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 1422069739111.jpg
    1422069739111.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 83
you may have a SG1 GM replacement block they had no vin the block will have SG1 cast in to the side

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Looks like someone hit it with a grinder...definately not machined with that finish.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Looks like someone hit it with a grinder...definately not machined with that finish.
Definitely does have some scars I have to agree with you.

you may have a SG1 GM replacement block they had no vin the block will have SG1 cast in to the side
Thanks for the reply, I will look for the SG1 casting number on the block tomorrow. As ny idea where it would be located?

Very suspicious looking id pad!! To much grinding markings, and also, take look at my picture. this is my original numbers matching block. Notice mine doesn't have that hole machined into the block next to the ID pad.

block_id.jpg

Very suspicious looking id pad!! To much grinding markings, and also, take look at my picture. this is my original numbers matching block. Notice mine doesn't have that hole machined into the block next to the ID pad.

View attachment 245234
TurboDave I have to say I never noticed that before! You are correct it's completely different even the area where your VIN number is stamped appears to be much larger I'd say twice the length of this block?

SG1 block in link above does have the same hole machined in the same place haven't been out to garage yet to look for designation

Very Good ! that short block may have been Dealer installed under warranty ? if i was a buyer and the non matching number block was no longer in the car i would be 100% ok with a SG1 block ! at least you now know there was no messing with the block grinding numbers off .

VIN number should be stamped on the driver side of the block. SG1 is cast into the block under the motor mounts you can see them with a good light at the right angle it's hard to find but you can see them and there will be a hole cast into the block on the drivers side right above the pad if it's a SG1 block.

There'll be no VIN number if it's a SG1 block as it never came in any vehicle