You can type here any text you want

Mod question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

eagleguy

Would these be considered mild modifications made for reliability?

ta49 turbo
36# injectors
160 thermostat
100# comp valve springs
turbo tweak chip
fuel pump w /hot wire kit

I'm running the same set up with alky.love it,does me good.

Im not sure, i guess you could run regular if you dont boost the car, but wheres the fun in that, just buy 93 and get it over with

Could the same set up run on regular gas?
Not sure if what you mean by "regular gas" is unleaded premium, but alky is sprayed into the intake independently of the fuel. It is not a replacement for the gas. Yes you can use those parts together with no problem. But with the addition of alky you can turn up the boost another 6-10 psi fairly safely.

Also don't forget that you need some sort of scanning tool when turning the boost up.

I guess I was asking if the car was set up as listed in the mods, could I just use premium unleaded gas and NO other additive without causing harm to the engine.

Yes you can but on just 93 pump gas you have to keep the boost on the lower side. Maybe around 16 psi max? You have to see what works for your car. The scanmaster is so you can monitor knock retard. You don't want knock retard from running too much boost. You can run way more boost if you add an alcohol injection kit.

The questions I asked were based on a members car I was considering purchasing. I am looking for a reliable Turbo and wasn't sure if the mods were too aggressive for my purpose.

The mods you listed could be assumed as mild. The reliable part is an open question with these cars. A lot of it has to due with your right foot and tuning ability

The questions I asked were based on a members car I was considering purchasing. I am looking for a reliable Turbo and wasn't sure if the mods were too aggressive for my purpose.
reliability is a loaded question,as the way its driven boosted tuned monitored etc have the most impact on longevity but its safe to say it will last a long time as long as you don't put the squeeze to it.as far as a mild combo,i will tell you I ran a 49 turbo into the 10s and also ran plenty of nitrous with it as well. over a decade of street driving:)no on 15 psi its going to go slower than a stock turbo but will last you a long time if all is in order.inmo its a great street combo that's not to complicated.

I guess I was asking if the car was set up as listed in the mods, could I just use premium unleaded gas and NO other additive without causing harm to the engine.
yes keep the boost low, a scanmaster will be your friend.

The 49 is a tried and proven turbo. That being said it is as vulnerable as a stock turbo to issues like insufficient oil, seal leaks, bearing failure, and ingested debris. A 49 needs to see more boost from stock levels to show it's teeth. With enough octane a stock turbo might go 22 psi before it's out of breath. A 49 will go much higher with enough octane and make more power. Most people go with alky injection with any turbo to gain the octane and cooling of the charge. E85 is another way to do it and of course race fuels both leaded and unleaded. Regardless of the fuel you will need a chip to match your fuel, injectors and boost. A scanmster is a must. Fuel pump and hot wire is necessary too. For the most reliable combo the most important thing is for every system in the car to be operating at peak efficiency. Bad things happen real fast if a glitch in one of the systems occurs.

Update.
Car is really fun to drive. I still do not understand the benefits of my mentioned upgrades over stock but I can say using only 93 octane the car moves nicely. No issues that I know of so far other than my brake system which I had converted to vacuum as stopping is a good thing. I still need to download the PDF for my installed scanmaster so I fully understand its value, my bad.

Back