You can type here any text you want

Mod question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
If u think 93 Octane is good at 15lbs of boost throw a alky kit on and turn it up to 20-25lbs :-) it's night and day . It's like running race gas on 93 FYI

Do you mean Non-Ethanol, or alcohol free Premium?

It would be better to avoid the pump gas that has ethanol mixed into it. There is one station in my area that sells what they call "Clear Premium" that is ethanol free. That is what I run. Alcohol is a bit corrosive to fuel system components, plus it attracts water.

It would be better to avoid the pump gas that has ethanol mixed into it. There is one station in my area that sells what they call "Clear Premium" that is ethanol free. That is what I run. Alcohol is a bit corrosive to fuel system components, plus it attracts water.
Highly debated subject. Before the worldwide use of Ethanol began MTBE was used in our fuels as an anti-knock agent. When MTBE was banned in 2004ish a replacement was needed to control knock. Enter, Ethanol....

Now, if you choose to buy Ethanol free fuel my question is: what anti-knock agent is used to replace Ethanol? This very question was posed years ago to our local gas companies and we still don't know the answer. We were told they are just trying to satisfying customer demand (and profiting by it of course) but still no word on what anti-knock agent is used in place of Ethanol, if anything. Maybe someone could enlighten me...

Highly debated subject. Before the worldwide use of Ethanol began MTBE was used in our fuels as an anti-knock agent. When MTBE was banned in 2004ish a replacement was needed to control knock. Enter, Ethanol....

Now, if you choose to buy Ethanol free fuel my question is: what anti-knock agent is used to replace Ethanol? This very question was posed years ago to our local gas companies and we still don't know the answer. We were told they are just trying to satisfying customer demand (and profiting by it of course) but still no word on what anti-knock agent is used in place of Ethanol, if anything. Maybe someone could enlighten me...

I don't believe there is any. I find it amusing with all the bitching about ethanol in gasoline, yet many of the same complainers are the ones running e85 for racing or other high boost uses. They can't have it both ways.... Running e85, and bitching about e10 in the same breath. Ethanol isn't all as corrosive as it's made out to be. Methanol? Yes, very corrosive. Ethanol, not so much.
Think about it in common sense terms, if e85 is so great, e10 must be at least a little better than no E.

As far as ethanol as a corrosive goes, I know my lycoming O 320 ( opposed 320 ci carbureted 150 hp ) airplane engine that's made to run on 80/87 octane doesn't like it. The alcohol destroys hoses and the rubber seals in the carb. Even though avgas is expensive as hell ( at times $6 per gallon) , I would have to run that just because I couldn't find any auto fuel without alcohol. I'm not sure why it doesn't corrode the same for auto engines .

As far as ethanol as a corrosive goes, I know my lycoming O 320 ( opposed 320 ci carbureted 150 hp ) airplane engine that's made to run on 80/87 octane doesn't like it. The alcohol destroys hoses and the rubber seals in the carb. Even though avgas is expensive as hell ( at times $6 per gallon) , I would have to run that just because I couldn't find any auto fuel without alcohol. I'm not sure why it doesn't corrode the same for auto engines .

Don't know why that should be so bad in your case, I haven't had that experience. I've been running E10 in everything I own, from lawn mowers to my turbo buicks, etc. since E10 has been around, several decades. I take no precautions either, and haven't had a single bit of trouble from any of my cars/equipment. My GN's have not complaints, they sit over the winter months, along with my lawn equipment. If there were any corrosive effects I should have suffered from it over a decade ago.

I think the most expensive part of having an airplane..... wait you have an airplane. playing worlds smallest violin for you on the fuel price!:ROFLMAO:

Ethanol itself is not corrosive. It is an FDA approved product used in thousands of everyday things we use i.e., vodka, perfumes, antiseptics, antibacterial products, face creams, just to name a few. So common sense will tell you it cannot be as corrosive as some claim.

When you pull up to the pump at the gas station there is a yellow sticker that says "This product contains up to 10% Ethanol" or something to that effect. The verbage may be slightly different depending on where you live, but the point is Ethanol is the ONLY advertised ingredient in the fuel. Our fuel certainly contains many other unknown products/chemicals besides Ethanol that is not as openly advertised. I believe this is why Ethanol gets it's bad reputation. It is the only advertised product added to our fuel making it an easy scapegoat.

It is widely known fuel additive packages (the other products put in your fuel besides Ethanol) vary company to company - State to State. I suspect this variance may be the reason why some report problems while others don't. The problem some have with their fuel is not because of the Ethanol but with some other unknown, unadvertised, product being added to the gas. I wrote extensively about this subject in another thread a while back but only got crickets. I guess nobody wanted to hear common sense being preached because it was too easy to blame Ethanol for their problems.

Ethanol itself is not corrosive. It is an FDA approved product used in thousands of everyday things we use i.e., vodka, perfumes, antiseptics, antibacterial products, face creams, just to name a few. So common sense will tell you it cannot be as corrosive as some claim.

When you pull up to the pump at the gas station there is a yellow sticker that says "This product contains up to 10% Ethanol" or something to that effect. The verbage may be slightly different depending on where you live, but the point is Ethanol is the ONLY advertised ingredient in the fuel. Our fuel certainly contains many other unknown products/chemicals besides Ethanol that is not as openly advertised. I believe this is why Ethanol gets it's bad reputation. It is the only advertised product added to our fuel making it an easy scapegoat.

It is widely known fuel additive packages (the other products put in your fuel besides Ethanol) vary company to company - State to State. I suspect this variance may be the reason why some report problems while others don't. The problem some have with their fuel is not because of the Ethanol but with some other unknown, unadvertised, product being added to the gas. I wrote extensively about this subject in another thread a while back but only got crickets. I guess nobody wanted to hear common sense being preached because it was too easy to blame Ethanol for their problems.
I worked at a motorcylce/powersports dealer when mtbe was replaced with ethanol. We saw and instant increase in the need to clean carbs that had the float needle and seat corroded together and pilot jets clogged with gel from the fuel. (Some poor guys carbs would clog after just a few weeks. ) Prior to this the fuel lasted longer in stored vehicles. Mainly unused snowmobile or watercaft were the ones needing carb cleans. ( stored for 2 or more years)
If oxygen is present somewhere corrosion will follow. Less oxygen, less corrosion.
I think they reduced the problem by adding something after there was so much trouble. ( In CT )

Corrosive is a strong word, maybe most of us mean "allows rust" instead of what we want which is "prevents rust"

So far, I've only seen problems with motorcycle & lawnmower carbs. Not sure about automotive fuel systems, yet. I only have one vehicle with a carb anymore.

My aircraft had an STC ( supplemental type certificate ) issued ( had to purchase it ) to allow usage of "auto fuel" . More than a few of my aviation friends had to have carbs rebuilt, rubber fuel lines replaced and fuel selector valves rebuilt when this STC first came out and they were using auto gas with ethanol. Those that were careful to use car gas without ethanol had no such issues whatsoever. I'm just sayn'.......

As far as the worlds smallest violin goes, a good bass boat , or a new car for that matter , cost more than the airplane did , and not a whole lot of cash to maintain provided you started with a good one. I am sure that quite a few TB owners have tens of thousands of dollars invested in their rides..... My wife's Subaru Forester cost a heluva lot more than my TriPacer did...

My aircraft had an STC ( supplemental type certificate ) issued ( had to purchase it ) to allow usage of "auto fuel" . More than a few of my aviation friends had to have carbs rebuilt, rubber fuel lines replaced and fuel selector valves rebuilt when this STC first came out and they were using auto gas with ethanol. Those that were careful to use car gas without ethanol had no such issues whatsoever. I'm just sayn'.......

As far as the worlds smallest violin goes, a good bass boat , or a new car for that matter , cost more than the airplane did , and not a whole lot of cash to maintain provided you started with a good one. I am sure that quite a few TB owners have tens of thousands of dollars invested in their rides..... My wife's Subaru Forester cost a heluva lot more than my TriPacer did...
I had to bust ur balls about it. all in good fun.

NP at all, no offense taken and I'm certain , none intended..... But like I said , I really don't know why ethanol does it's dirty deed to aircraft engines. When I ran unleaded regular grade auto gas without ethanol ( when I could find it ), she idled better an never fouled out any bottom plugs ( it has two, one at the top of the cylinder and one at the bottom). Not so with 100 octane low lead.

sorry about that! rough day, I meant non ethanol.

Back