You can type here any text you want

moog 5385s not dropping it...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GregInAtl

OK, so I am neck deep in my install and am not getting #s like I hoped. I did drop spindles and 5658s up front, (should be right at 3" drop...and is) and then did 5385s in the rear (1/4" drop achieved). I thought these were supposed to go 1.975" below oem?!! I look jacked up in the rear esp compared to slammed in the front. My wheel/tire set up is 26.5" tall like my old set up was w/ 245/50-16s (now 245/35-20, and 275/30-20s) I want to get the rear well to 25.5-26"....I am at 27 3/8 currently. Any ideas? The springs are def in the seats!
I know many of you hate the idea of a GN on 20"s slammed, lets save that for another day please, its been a frustrating one already.

is that the height with the shocks hooked up and after going for a drive to get things to kind of settle in a bit?
if so, then did you make sure you got the right springs? i believe Moog stamps the spring itself with the part number.

have not driven it yet, I calculated rear wheel spacing wrong (20x10 needs 4.75 BS I thought...except my rear disc conversion sticks out 1/2 further so now I am in a dilema)
The rear is sitting at 27 3/8 to the wheel well. This is on a 26.5" tall tire. This is also after jumping on the bumper and removing the rear shock bolts to remove them... literally spring only (I realize if the spring and shock work right this shouldnt affect height...)
Any ideas?

Well I have never run the 5385's in the rear but I can say that the 5413's almost fall out of the rear spring pockets with the shocks hooked up. I'm wondering if you have the wrong springs?

With the 5413's and 265/50R15's which are 25.4" tall, My Regal sits at 26.25"

With your 26.5" tall tire and the 5413's, you should be at 26.75.

But...... I do know on the 5658 thread, there was a guy with th 5385's that sat much lower than the 5413's.

Are these pigtail style springs or solid coil?

I'd check first to make sure they are the right springs, have them order a new set for you, tell them they are not right. If you have the same problem, go with the 5413's or the Eibachs. I know Silver Fox was happy with the Global West rears too. Another idea is, I think National Parts Depot sells rear springs that drop up to 3" if thats the route you want to go.

I don't believe the quality control on the Moog springs is that good. The results different people are getting with the same spring/tire combo is all over the place. This is why I went to the Global West Springs on the back of my car. They were more expensive than the Moog springs though.

I don't believe the quality control on the Moog springs is that good. The results different people are getting with the same spring/tire combo is all over the place. This is why I went to the Global West Springs on the back of my car. They were more expensive than the Moog springs though.

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree. Most of the time, people are not properly installing their springs or other suspension pieces when they come on here and say their springs are not correct. I have bought two sets of 5658's and two sets of 5413's and have had the exact measurements on both installations. I know Moog is overseas now and their quality control may not be as good as it use to be though.

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree. Most of the time, people are not properly installing their springs or other suspension pieces when they come on here and say their springs are not correct. I have bought two sets of 5658's and two sets of 5413's and have had the exact measurements on both installations. I know Moog is overseas now and their quality control may not be as good as it use to be though.

JDPolzin - I know you just like hanging out at your local parts store and buying Moog Springs so you can do burnouts when you are leaving to pi$$ off the manager. I understand if you ordered GW springs via mail order you couldn't do that (LOL).

Rob

JDPolzin - I know you just like hanging out at your local parts store and buying Moog Springs so you can do burnouts when you are leaving to pi$$ off the manager. I understand if you ordered GW springs via mail order you couldn't do that (LOL).

Rob

Now thats funny right there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Thanks for the help guys. I will check into all the suggestions. The moog box was labeled 5385, so I dunno. They are pig tailed for sore and when you jack the car up in the rear they are 1.5-2" from touching the top of the spring pocket....so cutting would make that a big prob (and hitting large dips that may unload a rear spring. If all else fails and I do this, I'll weld a short piece of 2" rod at the top to center the coils and keep them in the seat in case of unload.

I have seen many people weld a round tube when they go really low with their coils. If it's that far from the perch, it's pobably shorter than the 5413's. I say give it a little while and see if it settles. Did you use the rubber isolators?

I have seen many people weld a round tube when they go really low with their coils. If it's that far from the perch, it's pobably shorter than the 5413's. I say give it a little while and see if it settles. Did you use the rubber isolators?

Yeah, the OEM isolators were reused.... I have to get new rear spacers (mine stick out 1/2" too far) and then It'll be on the road....and of course pics.
I did Boss 338s 20x8.5 and 20x10 in gray , drop spindles w/ 5658s front and 5385s in rear. KYBs all around. The front end looks awesome, just gotta get the scared cat look fixed.

Problem solved, Ziz wheeled a coil, and its down now....if a week didnt drop it, material loss sure will! Its pretty extreme height, many will hate it, many will love it.....I am psyched over it.

Problem solved, Ziz wheeled a coil, and its down now....if a week didnt drop it, material loss sure will! Its pretty extreme height, many will hate it, many will love it.....I am psyched over it.

Where's the darn pics man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure I'll love it. I hope it rides ok!

Back