You can type here any text you want

More boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jimski

In over my head
Ok Ok ready for more boost, is 9 psi the max for a carbed turbo setup?What is the max that has been seen and how do i acheive this.. ;)

You first of all need to get a knock alarm or guage. What are you running for gear? Oh yeah, a boost guage also. 20psi should be plenty for the guage

Ok Ok ready for more boost, is 9 psi the max for a carbed turbo setup?What is the max that has been seen and how do i acheive this.. ;)

Rich (b4black) has gotten as much as 20psi if I read correctly what he's done so far. Go to the top and do some reading Jim. The DIY alky is good for some extra PSI. Lot's of little tricks you can do as well as doing a 50/50 mix with E-85 to help with knock.:eek:

Yeah alky kit will do, Running stock knock sensor works great i have a autometer 20psi boost gauge it only see's 9psi;) now thou. I have read alot on the site and just looking for different opinions on the boost of these cars.what was the maxium boost u guy's have seen and how did u acheive this boost.I hope u guys dont have a patten on youre setups:D

I don't Jim. Look at the update on the turbo BTW. If you gather the parts you can get about 10 lbs more per minute so better spool and less heat in the mix. Another option I thought about is using a nitrous carb spray plate to get more alky in it and atomize better.

so the stock 4barrell can supply enough fuel for 15-20 psi??? as long as the knock is monitored of course....

I don't Jim. Look at the update on the turbo BTW. If you gather the parts you can get about 10 lbs more per minute so better spool and less heat in the mix. Another option I thought about is using a nitrous carb spray plate to get more alky in it and atomize better.

So at the momement are u running more boost than 9psi with a carbed setup or is it still in the works?

so the stock 4barrell can supply enough fuel for 15-20 psi??? as long as the knock is monitored of course....

The rear barrels are the key. You need to do some changing on the needles and hanger to get more fuel out of them. Not hard to do btw.

So at the momement are u running more boost than 9psi with a carbed setup or is it still in the works?

Right now I'm not running anything. Spun bearing put the car down until I get the new car going. If you look on GN/TTYPE there is a thread on it and the other guy was running the 301 turbo with stock boost and had the slip showing 13.21 in the quarter. No other changes. If you don't have everything to do it and I get it done before the rest of the car I might see my way to let you test it for a VERY short time. It will probibly be finished first so I make the down pipe set up. You can also contact Philbuilt on the board. He's the one that confirmed what I was thinking. That's why I started the thread, so the rest of us could get a little help with some mods. I have Phils # if you want and I'll PM it to you so you can talk to him yourself.:biggrin: He said the turbo lag was almost nonegsistant with the new set up.

12psi

I cranked my first 83 to 12 psi- with a GOOD 160 deg thermostat, cold air induction and open exhaust. But- when I raced it I would end up popping the hood to the first latch on my way down pit lane to the starting lane in heads up racing- no box. I could watch my temp guage almost peg out going through the traps, but never had any cooling problems or head guasket problems. The car seemed to build more heat than power over 12 psi.

You guys need to stop talking about improving carb'ed turbo cars. Its not fair that I don't have one. There's no experimenting with the IC cars. Tune and go. I wanna play too:biggrin: I think I'm just having boost issues;)

I just dont see ever going over 10psi:frown: with the small turbo these units are.Now that 301 turbo setup mod That charlief1 is hooking up looks real good cant wait till it is tested and for sale.Ill be glad to also try it out on my setup with no problem at all to see what it is built on...

You guys need to stop talking about improving carb'ed turbo cars. Its not fair that I don't have one. There's no experimenting with the IC cars. Tune and go. I wanna play too:biggrin: I think I'm just having boost issues;)

You're just jealous Jesse.:tongue: I know you want another one but you went and bought an SFI car.:biggrin: Maybe one will show up soon for you.

I just dont see ever going over 10psi:frown: with the small turbo these units are.Now that 301 turbo setup mod That charlief1 is hooking up looks real good cant wait till it is tested and for sale.Ill be glad to also try it out on my setup with no problem at all to see what it is built on...

I'll make you an interesting offer Jim. If you play nicely (lol) you may just be able to try it for a very short time.:biggrin: I'll seriously think about it. Which intake do you have on the car right now? That's gonna determine several things. I've got the 81 that I've been using for the pics and I haven't gotten into the 83 housings or intake yet, but it's the one I'll be using when I get it torn down.

just because you have a bigger turbo doesn't mean you are going to be able to run more boost. The carb turbos have no way of dissapaiting heat, so you need the octane/water to fuel and cool it...in a nutshell anyway. The stocker is fine for now. Should be able to hit a stock IC car quarter mile time with minimal mods and alky injection.

Yeah but I can't drive them all you know. And I'm sure you are aware of the rules around my house:rolleyes: Now, if I can talk my friend into buying the one I found for him, THEN I'll have one to play with again:biggrin: I'd go out of my way to get my old 79 back though. That baby was sweet and I still haven't seen another carb car like it. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

You're just jealous Jesse.:tongue: I know you want another one but you went and bought an SFI car.:biggrin: Maybe one will show up soon for you.

I'll make you an interesting offer Jim. If you play nicely (lol) you may just be able to try it for a very short time.:biggrin: I'll seriously think about it. Which intake do you have on the car right now? That's gonna determine several things. I've got the 81 that I've been using for the pics and I haven't gotten into the 83 housings or intake yet, but it's the one I'll be using when I get it torn down.

I have the 83 intake should be the same mounting as 81

just because you have a bigger turbo doesn't mean you are going to be able to run more boost. The carb turbos have no way of dissapaiting heat, so you need the octane/water to fuel and cool it...in a nutshell anyway. The stocker is fine for now. Should be able to hit a stock IC car quarter mile time with minimal mods and alky injection.

A few ladys that know down here say bigger is better thou;) and i hold that truth to be self evident:D

i went as far as 15lbs..... on the orange Luv before i popped a head gasket. (its out for expirments!) The first turbo engine I built in my Blue Luv made it to 11 before the bottom end fell out.

Mind you, this was all on a Holley and MSD BTM. I dont trust quadratoilets or the factory retard.

I would say that it should be easy to get to atleast 20lbs out of it... but ONLY with alky....

A.j.

i went as far as 15lbs..... on the orange Luv before i popped a head gasket. (its out for expirments!) The first turbo engine I built in my Blue Luv made it to 11 before the bottom end fell out.

Mind you, this was all on a Holley and MSD BTM. I dont trust quadratoilets or the factory retard.

I would say that it should be easy to get to atleast 20lbs out of it... but ONLY with alky....

A.j.

I say 13psi with alky

Im running the car and did all kinds of tweaks to it spent alot of cash trying different stuff.It is not desighned i think to hit high psi numbers.Heres where modifying stuff comes in, like charlies 301 turbo project.

Back