You can type here any text you want

More boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Im running the car and did all kinds of tweaks to it spent alot of cash trying different stuff.It is not desighned i think to hit high psi numbers.Heres where modifying stuff comes in, like charlies 301 turbo project.

i noticed that going back to the older .82 housing on a modded motor made more boost.... i think the .63 runs out on that original setup.

just a thought...

A.j.

just because you have a bigger turbo doesn't mean you are going to be able to run more boost. The carb turbos have no way of dissapaiting heat, so you need the octane/water to fuel and cool it...in a nutshell anyway. The stocker is fine for now. Should be able to hit a stock IC car quarter mile time with minimal mods and alky injection.

Think about how much boost a hot air car can handle and it doesn't have a way to dissapate heat either Jesse. The big diff on the mod is you get basically the same as a hot air turbo with more flow so it doesn't heat the mix as much.

I have the 83 intake should be the same mounting as 81

Kinda Jim. The base is heated by water on the 81 down set up and the 82-83 use ERG heat. I'll need to mod the 83 housing for you to use as well as do the cutting and welding I was talking about.

i noticed that going back to the older .82 housing on a modded motor made more boost.... i think the .63 runs out on that original setup.

just a thought...

A.j.

Since the stock one has an AR of .42 and the 301 has an AR of .60 that's a heck of an improvement. If everything is done right we should be able to have close to the same boost as the HA cars now, and the same results too.:biggrin: :eek:

I really don't see why the carb'ed cars shouldn't be as powerfull as the hot airs. I think its mainly the flow of the turbos, intake and exhaust restrictions.

I really don't see why the carb'ed cars shouldn't be as powerfull as the hot airs. I think its mainly the flow of the turbos, intake and exhaust restrictions.

your exactly right. the problem is the intake.

when I swapped my system to a better intake I could barely pull 5lbs out of it because the stock carb turbo quickly runs out. the best bet is to follow charlies mods if you want to stay with a stock foot print. or totally revise the system.

A.j.

your exactly right. the problem is the intake.

when I swapped my system to a better intake I could barely pull 5lbs out of it because the stock carb turbo quickly runs out. the best bet is to follow charlies mods if you want to stay with a stock foot print. or totally revise the system.

A.j.

Well you're partially right Aj. It's a combination problem. The intake is restrictive but when you put the tiny turbo on it then you really have some problems. Now if you go in where the turbo mounts and get rid of some of the restriction and then go with the 301 turbo design you can get much better boost and more power.
Ya'll will just have to wait until I get to the intake mods after the turbo. That's when the fun begins.:eek: :biggrin: You guys saw what I like to do to the 4.1 intake so just imagine what I'm gonna do to the turbo one.:biggrin:

The stock turbo can run into the upper teens before running out of breath.

Get a knock gauge and a boost gauge. You'll likely find you have some knock at 9 psi. Get it running well, make the mods that help lower knock and see you can get rid of all the knocking. Then up the boost.

Moving to a bigger turbo helped me some, but it's just a piece of the puzzle - no single mod is going to magically make these cars superfast. It's running the right combiniation.

Alcohol injection was the biggest bang for buck mod I did. Lets you run more boost, but is another variable to juggle. Tuning it right will take you further than any other mod. I would put more effort here than the turbo, intake, etc.

If you look on GN/TTYPE there is a thread on it and the other guy was running the 301 turbo with stock boost and had the slip showing 13.21 in the quarter.

Ugh. Another message board.... I thought two was too many. :)

If all the carb/turbo stuff was in one place where the boards admins wouldn't play politics, we would all have 12's second cars by now. ;)

I've noticed that too. You guys are spread out all over the place. It would almost be worth it to have your own board

The stock turbo can run into the upper teens before running out of breath.

Get a knock gauge and a boost gauge. You'll likely find you have some knock at 9 psi. Get it running well, make the mods that help lower knock and see you can get rid of all the knocking. Then up the boost.

Moving to a bigger turbo helped me some, but it's just a piece of the puzzle - no single mod is going to magically make these cars superfast. It's running the right combiniation.

Alcohol injection was the biggest bang for buck mod I did. Lets you run more boost, but is another variable to juggle. Tuning it right will take you further than any other mod. I would put more effort here than the turbo, intake, etc.

I thought you had gone as far as 20 psi once Rich. Your data has been helpfull for sure on trying to figure out how to do the mods on my PITA project. You're completely right on the combo issue and using alky. If I remember right you're still running the stock cam and other than the larger inducer wheel not to many other mods? I know the BTM was one of the best ones you've done.

Ugh. Another message board.... I thought two was too many. :)

If all the carb/turbo stuff was in one place where the boards admins wouldn't play politics, we would all have 12's second cars by now. ;)

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I agree that putting it all on one board would be great or maybe have some sort of reciprocity? Join one board and you can use the other maybe?

I've noticed that too. You guys are spread out all over the place. It would almost be worth it to have your own board

Rich used to have his own board of sorts that was on the B4Black site once, if I remember correctly. If I'm wrong he'll correct me I'm sure.:biggrin:

Other than the turbo and some minor tweaks to the motor, it's stock. I did change the valve spring with stock repalcements - didn't make a noticeable differance. Other than that, the motor has never been opened up.

I get close to 20 psi sometimes, but not without some knocking. The BTM is nice, but not required. You could mess with initial timing - I haven't changed mine. The BTM lets you run 93 on the street and race gas at the track. Pulling even ½° per psi is really noticable.

I had a board and it was a fair amount of work for a non-computer geek. Then came this board and the original owner (Mike Litch) was nice enough to start a section for us. Then the board crashed and turbobuicks.com started up. That owner has been very good as well. A few years went by and this board was sold - then the non-sense began. Some guy named Jesse here decide it was a 'conflict of interest' for me to moderate on both boards, so he removed me without even saying anything to me. He turned it into a this board vs that board. My interest is in the Before Black sections and I stay out of everything else. I'm not here to make money.....just to help.

When was the last time you saw one of the current moderaters in this forum?;)

LOL:biggrin: Very true. I sent a PM to Shane about adding some stickeys and he pretty much blew me off. Sad to think we're the redheaded bastard stepchildren but it's true.:eek: Believe me Rich we all like the work you've done over the years.:biggrin:

I've always thought of him and freddie as the go to guys and "been there, done that"

Back