You can type here any text you want

More questions! Which Chevy thermostat to cut down?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
I keep reading that a Chevy 350 thermostat can be trimmed to fit but what year and model should I ask for? I guarantee if I guess I will get the wrong one.

I have to increase my coolant temperature. I failed emissions this morning on CO and am pretty sure the 160 thermostat is not helping my situation. That and I may get a fresh O2 sensor just for giggles since I have not replaced it in 15 years.

I keep reading that a Chevy 350 thermostat can be trimmed to fit but what year and model should I ask for? I guarantee if I guess I will get the wrong one.

I have to increase my coolant temperature. I failed emissions this morning on CO and am pretty sure the 160 thermostat is not helping my situation. That and I may get a fresh O2 sensor just for giggles since I have not replaced it in 15 years.

I have a few Buick turbo v6 thermostats for our 86-87 engines. 180 or 195 degrees if you want to try one out to see if it helps let me know and i will send it out today. PM me your address and it's yours.

use cardboard to block enough of the radiator that it runs at your desired temp long enough to pass the test..

Someone suggested put a manual cutout switch on the fan to accomplish the same thing.

I had to cut down my 160-degree T-stat too...even though it was supposed to be the exact correct part number. I think most current replacement T-stats, excluding the expensive repro units, will need to be cut down.

Stock size thermostat 180° = Duralast 15848. OEM fit, no cutting needed. Bought one after work. Piece of cake.

Car idles with A/C on @ 187°, A/C off about 182°, smooth as silk. I posted this for the search function.

Back