Emission problems in NW Indiana

As long as he unplugged the ecm before pulling the chip, it should be OK.
It would be no different than unplugging the orange wire at the battery.

are you sure theres no other exhaust leaks like the drivers side manifold??

are you sure the high flow cat is good??

also i took off the wastegate rod off the downpipe, on my car or take out the spring for the external wg. then the car wont make boost as the kids at the station like to look at the boost gauge instead of the screen. then no extra fuel needed. that is how i passed the last time. by .001 gram.

also i took off the wastegate rod off the downpipe, on my car or take out the spring for the external wg. then the car wont make boost as the kids at the station like to look at the boost gauge instead of the screen. then no extra fuel needed. that is how i passed the last time. by .001 gram.

You mean they actually put your car on the dyno?:eek: They only sniffed me on idle. :cool:

You mean they actually put your car on the dyno?:eek: They only sniffed me on idle. :cool:

I have to go to emissions next month, last time they only said it called for standing idle test, time before that they strapped it down and put it on the dyno for emissions.

yep we had the im240 test for a while, but the contract went out and the epa got rid of them. no more testing for 95 and older cars. and the epa figgures that there is no more obd1 cars on the road anymore or not that many. 96 and newer cars get scanned for codes and that is it.

What I don't understand is why anyone with a TR in Illinois is still taking the emissions test. You can get an exemption from the state. Get the form from the emission testing center and fill it out. Your car will have to be insured as a race car/show car, but that is how we use them anyway. If you can't get the forms get in touch with me and I'll send you one.

BlackSunShine: if you need help with your car, contact me. I'm the next freakin town over. I had to put my 87 through Porter county emission testing and also failed 4 times before finally getting it to pass. Emission testing in northwest Indiana is NO joke. It is very strict. Lake and Porter counties are the only counties to my knowledge in the whole state that do emission testing and it is because of the steel mills here. I'm going to be plating my car in another county next time around. We can't get exempt from emissions unless the car is 25 years old and then you can get historical plates but our cars are not quite 25 yet.

Thanks alot for the offer Don. I am leaning toward putting my Casper's chip back in and swapping my Heated O2 sensor for a new stock one. I only failed by .2 with my Casper's chip so I hope the G2P stuff I put in a couple weeks ago and the stock O2 will give me those .2 I need. I still can't believe I failed by 3.9 AFTER the TT emissions chip when I only failed by .2 before it. Seems like I wasted $20. :mad:

Damn it's $40 for a stock 02. Was hoping for $20. I'm spending too much $$$ on this since I am going to get everything changed back after I pass. Sooooo would anyone from IN be kind enough to inform me to how I would get this thing plated in another county?

Wait a min the new plates have the county displayed on the top. So if I ever were to get pulled over and the info on the car does not match with my personal info won't that set off red flags?

this is from turbotweaks website under a section that has emissions chip binary files. "Emission Binary Files
Set at about 38psi fuel pressure (line off), not intended for wide open throttle operation. Not guaranteed to pass, but these files have worked well so far. 86/87 ECM only"

Doesn't sound like your entire problem but may be a piece to the puzzle.

You absolutely have to get all exhaust leaks before the turbo fixed. That's the biggest part of the problem. TT Emissions chip works, when the system (exhaust before turbo) is right. Another issue, like TurboDave said, could be with the High Flow cat not filtering/burning completely. One other question that has not been mentioned.

Are you running a K&N cone filter? Have you recently oiled it by chance? Is it within eye site or routed down out of eye site? A heavily oiled cone filter can also skew Emish readings. We want clean air going in. Some have actually taken their cone filter off completely on systems with a cold air kit that routes the filter down out of the engine bay. If you have the stock air filter housing, you could just remove the filter from the can.

On that note, you might want to take off your MAF pipe/hose and inspect for signs of oil residue from leaking or failing turbo oil seals. This can cause issues as well.

Are your intercooler hoses showing any signs of being wet with oil, discoloration? That's also signs of turbo oil seals failing. Which will lead to oil contamination into the motor.

One last thing you can check, would be to have someone disconnect the downpipe from the side of the turbo, and check for signs of oil leaking out of the turbo or carbon buildup on the turbine housing. This is also signs of oil seal failure or oil burning inside the turbine housing.

My bet is on a combination of the cat con not filtering/burning enough, combined with the exhaust leaks preturbo, skewing the fuel corrections.

When searching for exhaust leaks pre-turbo you can take a piece of rubber hose and with the car just started up cold, put the hose around all exhaust joints and listen for leaks. You can also feel for leaks by hand if the car is cold. Not when it's at op temp. Don't want you to get burned.

IOW, exhaust leaks before the turbo and any leaking oil from turbo and or motor are bad.

Hope some of this helps.

Patrick