more T-stat talk

jlat

hello people : I've talked about this before but with the cooler temps here a 160 stat might be too cool IMO. As of now in 2023 how many of youz run a 160. The chip maker recommends it but with a 180 you'd have less temp. variations and better heat. I plan to change out my crappy looking heat control valve and some hoses but now is the time for the stat change if I mess with my 86T at all for the reast of the year.
IBBY

x2 160* here but I don't need the heat very often. if you do get to doing a swap get a neck on the way. needed more often than not.

180 T stat here , at the same time changed my extender extreme chip to command fans on at 188deg & fans off at 170.
Engine is much happier now the oil temps warm up enough to burn off condensation & engine parts get fully warmed up to proper operating temps particularly in the cooler temps experienced in the spring & fall. Of course my car is street driven, however for the track , I can see the merit of a 160deg T stat

hello people : I've talked about this before but with the cooler temps here a 160 stat might be too cool IMO. As of now in 2023 how many of youz run a 160. The chip maker recommends it but with a 180 you'd have less temp. variations and better heat. I plan to change out my crappy looking heat control valve and some hoses but now is the time for the stat change if I mess with my 86T at all for the reast of the year.
IBBY
If you want to get rid of that ugly looking plastic heater valve ,Here is the heater valve that looks similar & works well.
It’s inexpensive & readily available from Amazon.com

Just search for UAC 1022C

Attachments

• IMG_4311.png
    IMG_4311.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I am in the 180 club too. I had a 160 in for a long time when they were all the rage. But as mentioned, the engine just doesn't get warm enough to burn off the condensation. My oil looks cleaner, it was looking milky from time to time before. The fan cycles the temp just fine and it rarely gets over 185.

I am in the 180 club too. I had a 160 in for a long time when they were all the rage. But as mentioned, the engine just doesn't get warm enough to burn off the condensation. My oil looks cleaner, it was looking milky from time to time before. The fan cycles the temp just fine and it rarely gets over 185.
hello; Is that a TT E85 chip U using. I have a TT 5.6 or something like that but do U think a chip, matters with the 180 stat
IBBY

160. No issue with condensation and the car rarely gets over 180 in the summer even with a front mount intercooler.

I am using the E85 so it was getting moisture in the oil, yes. As soon as I went to 180, the milky stopped.